No Horn because of police equipment?

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
coppcarz

No Horn because of police equipment?

Post by coppcarz »

So the horn on my 12 PPV is not working. It has nevr worked since I got it from the auction. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the siren removal when the car was de commissioned.

Anyone know the color of the horn wires coming down the steering shaft?

Thanks
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: No Horn because of police equipment?

Post by smwalker »

You wont want to look at the shaft first. First place to look is in the passenger side foot well. There is a brown wire in there where they can interrupt the horn circuit. That is usually where they tap into it.

Previous topic on it:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2393#p19287
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
coppcarz

Post by coppcarz »

Thanks for the information.

I did spend a bit under the dash today, and removed the side panel and side trimf of the dahs, all on the passenegr side.....and cannot find that brown wire going into the black wire.....now when you mean behind the glove box, do you mean literally pulling out the glove box? I just assumed behind the glove box through under the dash.

Does the knee irbag have to come out to pull out the glove box.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

It sort of goes along the bottom of the AC case You can see the blower motor yes, look at the harness running along the bottom of the case it is in. MIght be under the carpet??
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
coppcarz

Post by coppcarz »

Thanks all for the help.

I was finally able to locate the wire, just didn't expect the wire to be so thin.

I did end up removing the glovebox and knee air-bag, which made it easier to spot.

Irony is that I could have connected the two wires attached to the brown horn wires from under the passenger door sill had I known the colors!

Happy to report that the horn is now functioning......