Factory headlight flasher issues

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
indianajoe

Factory headlight flasher issues

Post by indianajoe »

After reading on my window sticker that the car was equipped with the light flasher I felt the need to enable it, I found the brown(?) Wire in the upfitter harness and connected it through a toggle switch to the ignition on wire in the harness and it worked
The front lights anyway
The rear lights don't blink with the fronts, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea why

The owners manual, confusingly, says the rears will flash with the fronts, but also that they can be controlled by another wire.
Doesn't say which wire though
CrashTestDummy

Re: Factory headlight flasher issues

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I think you have to check and verify you still have the flasher up by the passenger radiator support/fender, but if you have that, and it's not unplugged, look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1234&p=11078&hilit=flasher#p11078
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

The front lights flash, so I would assume the module is still there

My issue is that the rears don't flash, contrary to what the owners manual says, unless control of the rears has been split
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nice. I think the bulbs for the rear flashers went in the 'extra' light sockets by the backup light sockets.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Nice. I think the bulbs for the rear flashers went in the 'extra' light sockets by the backup light sockets.
I don't know what this supposed to mean, the BCM should be flashing your rear red tail lights along with the fronts, somewhere you have a wiring or burned out bulb issue. have you checked the under hood fuse box? there is a side specific set of fuses for the parking lights?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I am away from any reference materials currently. But, there is a wire/circuit that goes to the BCM that, when taken to ground, tells the BCM to alternately flash the two turn signal circuits and the reverse light circuit. There is also a callout regarding the ability to separate the rear and front flashing via a customer installed switch on this BCM circuit that can be grounded.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

There's a jumper that can be cut to separate the flashing control individually by area. Get into our file section and pull down the upfitter guide for your car, the wiring information should all be in there.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

elc32955 wrote:There's a jumper that can be cut to separate the flashing control individually by area. Get into our file section and pull down the upfitter guide for your car, the wiring information should all be in there.

Eric
thanks for the info!

i found that the blue and yellow wire under the hood had been cut out of the connector, reconnected it and the black wire it connected to and it went back to a single switch function

although i now have a new set of questions... what does the factory module look like? anyone have a picture? mine looked kind of strange, just a box with wires sticking out of it and all tangled around it.
and when the rears are activated i can hear a relay clicking in the box, which seems odd if the BCM is supposed to control the flashing
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

indianajoe wrote:[quote="elc32955"

although i now have a new set of questions... what does the factory module look like? anyone have a picture? mine looked kind of strange, just a box with wires sticking out of it and all tangled around it.
and when the rears are activated i can hear a relay clicking in the box, which seems odd if the BCM is supposed to control the flashing
Thats what mine looks like and i do hear the relay clicking, it may be required to handle the current load
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

That's correct. The BCM is not meant to handle high current thru the board, so it commands the relays to engage and disengage. They carry the current for the lights.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.