Kerr/Soundoff Signal Module - Stock Wigwag Issue [Solved]

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
Fudgehog

Re: Kerr Equipment - Wigwag Module

Post by Fudgehog »

Sm, any final wisdom or tips? I'm almost about to button all my panels back up and call it a loss. There's still a wire in the trunk on the passenger side running into the cab, and nothing back there seems disconnected. But you would think at least the front OR rear would work.

I just can't help but think all those cut wires have to do with something. Especially those grey ones (one cut off by the headlamp and one still leading to something, the ones in the Kerr wire shield). I still haven't bought the 12v switch and plan on doing that, and I'll keep trying to get the 12v from one of the many plug sockets down there rather than tap a wire.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

no, cant find my module I packed away. I was suspecting maybe you got a bad module or maybe the wrong application? Take another run at it tonight in some more boxes.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thanks I will perhaps try to contact the seller, and I appreciate you trying for me.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Found mine and tried in on my 14 to see if there was any difference and it worked fine so I would say you got a good module. Last thing I would do is follow that green/red stripe wire all the way to it's connector up behind the glove compartment and try applying 12 volts there to make sure the wire was not cut in the harness along the way.

Did you confirm your upfitter harness was plugged in behind the glove box?

Cant quite tell from the pics you posted.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

The Kerr harness is a crap ton of wires all zip tied around the connector with a small few (the ones for grille siren, siren, flashers etc) making their way out to be wired. Harness is the one with the cut orange wire in the blurry picture. I can definitely tap some of those wires to see if they have voltage or not. It seems I don't have enough time or energy to work on this issue lol, I put it on the back burner. 3rd shift sucks. Hopefully I will find out soon though, before colder weather and she gets garaged :( :(

Active Duty USAF
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Hey Steve, I made some progress. Using the following 12V source, my wigs wag. However, unlike other people's issue ONLY the rear. My front ones do not turn on, and the headlights do nothing when the wire is connected (LED headlights btw).

Any idea about how to get the front working? I'm afraid I might have to take the bumper off and check the wiring from both LEDs to the foot well. What the rear does is reverse lights and brake lights alternate flashing.
Attachments
12V source.jpg
12V source.jpg (238.5 KiB) Viewed 15295 times
Flasher Connected.jpg
Flasher Connected.jpg (167.09 KiB) Viewed 15295 times

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Good, half way there. So there is another provision to have the fronts flash separately from the rear. There is a wire that gets split so the police switch can control them separately. Looking at the technical manual you will want to inspect the dark blue/red wire up at the underhood module. I am not sure where to look sorry, never got to far into this part of it. And I am not sure what you might see. Also see if you can find the same wire in the passenger footwell. It might be grounded there? I can't quite make out the instructions in my mind.

Check out the wiring diagram on page 23, right side:

http://www.newcaprice.com/files/2011-Ch ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:Good, half way there. So there is another provision to have the fronts flash separately from the rear. There is a wire that gets split so the police switch can control them separately. Looking at the technical manual you will want to inspect the dark blue/red wire up at the underhood module. I am not sure where to look sorry, never got to far into this part of it. And I am not sure what you might see. Also see if you can find the same wire in the passenger footwell. It might be grounded there? I can't quite make out the instructions in my mind.

Check out the wiring diagram on page 23, right side:

http://www.newcaprice.com/files/2011-Ch ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't see any dark blue and red wire off hand. I did check under the hood as well but until its light out and I can start peeling back the electrical tape and what not I won't know for sure.

Also, I did realize that the F16 fuse was burnt. I replaced it and it didn't change anything. Forgot to update in last post. Thanks again for the help.

What would happen if I cut the blue/yellow wire, after the module, on the vehicles harness itself? If it's possibly being separated that would make sense but I'm not going to cut it unless I know it won't mess anything up.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Fudgehog wrote: What would happen if I cut the blue/yellow wire, after the module, on the vehicles harness itself? If it's possibly being separated that would make sense but I'm not going to cut it unless I know it won't mess anything up.
I am not sure about that. I thought first to tell you to trace the wire and see what it is hooked inside and outside of the car or if it is cut anywhere already. Past that I am not sure what to do. I think there is a warning in the manual though not to hook 12 volt power to the Blue/red wire as that would damage the BCM.

And to makes things more confusing in the diagram it's called a blue/yellow wire but in the text they refer to a blue/red ??? So not sure there either.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote: I am not sure about that. I think there is a warning in the manual though not to hook 12 volt power to the Blue/red wire as that would damage the BCM.

And to makes things more confusing in the diagram it's called a blue/yellow wire but in the text they refer to a blue/red ??? So not sure there either.
I noticed that discrepancy too, red/blue, blue/yellow. I haven't had any codes thrown or other issues everything else works fine. If I take the blue and yellow separator and give it 12v the rear flashes. If I do the same with the green and red same thing. Right now I got them both wired to an on off switch. I checked the older threads about this issue but no one has had this problem it seems. I don't see why my high beams wouldn't flash besides the fact that maybe because they're LED they won't.

Still thinking about cutting the separator wire up front could always reattach. Although I don't want to mangle the car to holy hell.

Another finding, if I ground the separator, and have ONLY the red/green wired to the switch, the rear flashes. Does that say anything?

Active Duty USAF