Removing spotlight.

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
Solardude

Removing spotlight.

Post by Solardude »

Anyone have any suggestions other than spending 500 dollars at the body shop? I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and see if I can at least seal the hole and leave the chrome plated bracket on the a pillar until I can swing the body shop router. Dumb drivers are already driving me crazy.
05 Pontiac GTO Torrid Red A4 w/red int, Procharger p1sc, Pacesetter Coated Headers,Aeroforce Gauges, H-pipe, DMH cutouts, Staggered Stern 18''s, Lots of Pedders/Lovells/Whiteline stuff. Tuned by Mike Norris

12 Chevy Caprice PPV 9c1 HSV Pentagon Replica 20''s, H&R Springs, HSV GTS Steering Wheel, Solo axle back, VCM Intake
Solardude

Re: Removing spotlight.

Post by Solardude »

If there are no other options maybe I can sell it to recoup some of the cost. It's a unity white led spotlight with blue sstrobe .
05 Pontiac GTO Torrid Red A4 w/red int, Procharger p1sc, Pacesetter Coated Headers,Aeroforce Gauges, H-pipe, DMH cutouts, Staggered Stern 18''s, Lots of Pedders/Lovells/Whiteline stuff. Tuned by Mike Norris

12 Chevy Caprice PPV 9c1 HSV Pentagon Replica 20''s, H&R Springs, HSV GTS Steering Wheel, Solo axle back, VCM Intake
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

I may want the LED light from you. I do not really need the whole thing, but maybe we can talk price.

So it has the normal white LED for spot and a blue LED that flashes? Does the handle have an thee positions for the LED, one for spot and one for blue and off?
Solardude

Post by Solardude »

It has one switch. When you turn it on the spotlight comes on. When you bump it off for a second it comes back on blue strobe the neighbors are highly amused

K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Solardude wrote:It has one switch. When you turn it on the spotlight comes on. When you bump it off for a second it comes back on blue strobe the neighbors are highly amused
Ahh OK, so it works how I thought it would wit the one switch. I was talking to someone about these and how it would work in the spotlight being it has the single copper shaft to power the light.

As for the hole, you can either make a cover out of aluminum or buy one on eBay. There is a guy selling them designed for a charger, but you may be able to adapt it to the Caprice. Just search item #: 261343667425

Is there a large use of unmarked cars used for traffic enforcement in your city/area? Here there is almost no use of unmarked cars for that, so drives tend to still drive fast with me behind them. Even in my 2009 Tahoe I had before.
Solardude

Post by Solardude »

There are a lot of unmarked cars around here. And even more bad driving

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I've pulled a bunch of spotlights off old patrol cars over the years. You probably don't need this but here's the quick & dirty procedure I've always used until I can get to the body shop.

1) Remove all the spotlight hardware, chrome, gasket, screws, and electrical connection to vehicle power. All you should have left is the large hole for the shaft and the two screw holes.

2) Use a small mallet to tap any small burrs or raised areas (above the normal metal line) flat.

3) Get some of the 3M metal seal tape that body shops use to cover the holes. If it makes you feel better you can use a light coat of Ospho on any bare metal before you tape it.

4) Make the tape as uniformly conforming to the metal as possible (I.E. no wrinkles).

5) Once it's taped, take your matching touch up paint and slap a quick layer of paint on top the aluminum metal tape. Guarantee no one notices the patch unless you're at a car show or they're specifically looking for it, or the touch up paint isn't a good match.

6) Install a plastic hole plug for the shaft hole on the inside trim so you don't have the gaping hole staring at you when you drive. Ace Hardware is my friend.

7) Tape the remaining electrical wire (if you cut it off in lieu of unplugging) and tuck it below the upper dash trim. Spare hot wire for a rainy day (radar detector, etc...).

And.... that's it! I drove a car for over a year with a metal tape sealed painted lightbar cable hole with no leaks or problems. That stuff holds like crazy!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Solardude

Post by Solardude »

I am planning on something along those lines this afternoon. Other than the light I am lovingt hisc ar so far.