Whelen lights

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
9C1fanatic

Re: Whelen lights

Post by 9C1fanatic »

storm9c1 wrote:I've personally seen cops aggressively "search" a car to determine if such lights are hooked up. Keep in mind that they have you on the side of the road with probable cause (if someone officially reports an impersonator in the area). And they know little or nothing about wiring. They can make things very inconvenient, and it usually happens when you have an appointment or somewhere else to go. I've seen them break parts or make a big dirty mess of your interior searching for hidden switches, etc. I agree that you are playing with fire. Be careful. I've owned several 9C1s over the years and have had some of my own negative experiences in this regard... the violation of privacy over something seemingly innocent isn't worth it IMHO. I would never run anything on a car that would even raise a *little* suspicion. I'm even against having a car with spotlights anymore. I used to run with mine unhooked and the fuse pulled and was still stopped and questioned for having them (in PA). The last straw for me was when I was stopped randomly by a female Trooper (not pulled over for any other reason) and told that even though it's unhooked, the handle is a safety issue and the light must be removed. Really? I was given an official written warning to remove it. My take is that the impersonations are happening too frequently. People are messed up. Cops are paranoid and looking for that big break. It ruins this hobby.

These PPV Caprices look like Impalas to most lay people. And civilians are the ones that report impersonations. Hell, I've seen cases of B-Body Caprice guys getting harassed because someone used a Crown Vic in an impersonation case. Even though B-Bodies have been out of service for many years!

Be careful.
Right on the money. They are happening too frequently, especially in and near urban areas. The Officers themselves are not paranoid of them but having recent or current impersonators in or near your jurisdiction makes an already tough job tougher especially in the age of You Tube and social media education.

Catching an impersonator is a big break for the community where one is a problem. All the officer has to show for it, is job satisfaction for doing what they are paid to do and quality time at a computer typing a report.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96