Whelen lights

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
gregc

Whelen lights

Post by gregc »

It was cheaper to install these than put in a brand new bumper cover. When they're off they are clear. I'd never use it to pull anyone over. It's just for show. The lights are split red and blue and they alternate when they flash.
Attachments
IMG_1174.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 20211 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Whelen lights

Post by elc32955 »

Ummmmm.... Respectfully, you're playing with fire there Greg. Can you get a clear matching set that flashes amber only? All it takes is one officer having a bad day to screw with you, or more likely you get pulled because of some whacker that's driving a similar looking car operating in the general area that makes things miserable for everyone... especially if violent crimes may be involved. We've had that happen several times in my area over the years.

Standard MO for LEOs here seems to be when that sort of behavior occurs is to pull everyone that looks even close on an investigative stop "related to the case". You get the whole treatment, consent to search request made to you for the inside your car ("Lieutenant, look what we found when we flipped this switch!"), drug dog running around the car, a complete vehicle inspection (put your foot on the brake, left turn signal, right turn signal, yad yada...), NCIC inquiries, Field Interrogation report filled out and OSI contacted, tint meter if you're tinted.... and all of that happy horse excretement takes a lot of your time.

"Step out of the ve-hickle please sir, we're going to be here for a while.... " :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gregc

Post by gregc »

It's not connected to a switch. There's no way for me to turn them on unless I physically add a switch. Right now it's just powered up temporarily. They're clear when they are off. Sac PD uses black and white Crown Vic's, soon to be Taurus. CHP uses the Explorer. Unmarked Sac PD uses dodge chargers. There are no Impala 9c1s or Caprice PPVs in my area.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Good. Don't add a switch unless you can take them to Amber. Even in my car I don't have front flashers hooked up, I can switch the rears on but I have a legitimate purpose for those as I still do emergency communications work.

They do look nice filling the holes though :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

Where'd you get that grill?

It looks to be the early grill from the pre-production cars:

gregc

Post by gregc »

95_9C1 wrote:Where'd you get that grill?

It looks to be the early grill from the pre-production cars:

I got it from Australia. It's the Middle East Caprice SS grille. My car is an ME Caprice SS clone, but it's badged an Impala and I have G8 GT wheels with ME Caprice center caps.
honor first

Post by honor first »

In Texas, mere possession of a blue light is a crime. The law states that if a blue light is in a vehicle, it must be in the original manufacturer's packaging. But if it wasn't plugged in, it would be hard to prove. Better safe than sorry though.
2011 Caprice PPV 6.0 Black
My Caprice For Sale On Ebay
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Not exactly true. The only time simply having them mounted is against the law is if it is a flashing or alternating light, stated in (c) below. Also, per (b), having a red light visible from the front of the vehicle is illegal, and that would be whether it is turned on or not.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:
(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
(2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(1) a school bus;
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
(3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
(4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
(5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.
(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.
(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Greg,

Is that one of these:

http://www.whelen.com/auto/product?head ... rod_id=673" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

?

I have the same nerf-bar slots in our front cover that I'd like to cover with something more permanent than the black tape they used. Like you, they won't be connected, just filling a hole.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I've personally seen cops aggressively "search" a car to determine if such lights are hooked up. Keep in mind that they have you on the side of the road with probable cause (if someone officially reports an impersonator in the area). And they know little or nothing about wiring. They can make things very inconvenient, and it usually happens when you have an appointment or somewhere else to go. I've seen them break parts or make a big dirty mess of your interior searching for hidden switches, etc. I agree that you are playing with fire. Be careful. I've owned several 9C1s over the years and have had some of my own negative experiences in this regard... the violation of privacy over something seemingly innocent isn't worth it IMHO. I would never run anything on a car that would even raise a *little* suspicion. I'm even against having a car with spotlights anymore. I used to run with mine unhooked and the fuse pulled and was still stopped and questioned for having them (in PA). The last straw for me was when I was stopped randomly by a female Trooper (not pulled over for any other reason) and told that even though it's unhooked, the handle is a safety issue and the light must be removed. Really? I was given an official written warning to remove it. My take is that the impersonations are happening too frequently. People are messed up. Cops are paranoid and looking for that big break. It ruins this hobby.

These PPV Caprices look like Impalas to most lay people. And civilians are the ones that report impersonations. Hell, I've seen cases of B-Body Caprice guys getting harassed because someone used a Crown Vic in an impersonation case. Even though B-Bodies have been out of service for many years!

Be careful.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.