Key Programming Issue

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
alfa32

Key Programming Issue

Post by alfa32 »

All,
I have reviewed the various threads regarding the key programming, hide a key, etc.

2012 9C3 Vin last 6 617432

I had only one key/RKE unit when I purchased the car.

Purchased key blank 92281663 and had cut at dealer (approx $50)
Followed instructions in Owners Manual sitting in dealer lot. As instructed, new key was not with RKE (RKE new, at home 92237316).
On third try the key programmed and would start car, original key still worked to start car. After first failed try the engine immobilizer message came on.
Engine immobilizer warning came on only when using the new key, old key no message. Both keys would start car.

I went in to the service area (car immediately surrounded by service folks checking it out "don't see many of these").
As I got out of the car I checked new key again, it no longer worked.

Service writer got a tech to look at it, they couldn't make it work, said they "needed the RKE with key as there was an immobilizer signal in the RKE". Having both pieces together obviously contradicts directly the owners manual instructions.

They said they would have to reflash the entire system. I was out of time, didn't have it done-they were going to charge only $35-reasonable as far as I was concerned.

I drove home using the original key, got my new RKE, followed the reprogramming instructions, worked first try. Both RKE work.

The new key would still not reprogram with or with out the working RKE near it, or clipped together.

Comments from the tech gurus?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Key Programming Issue

Post by smwalker »

Read this a couple times and am still unclear. Do they both work now with no immobilizer message?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
alfa32

Post by alfa32 »

Steve,
Thanks for reply, sorry it wasn't clear.

New key will not start the car, and will not reprogram, whether separate, attached to RKE or near RKE (tech said necessary ....?).

Just tried again today to reprogram, the engine immobilizer message comes on when you turn the key to start after reprogram attempt.
It is like the transponder is locked out and won't reprogram.

Rob
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

SO you got the key from GM (I assume the fixed key version) , I would think the chip in the head of it would be ready to be programmed by the dealership's tech 2 (since they are shipping to a dealership I assume they think there will be a tech 2 available to do it).

Somethng I learned when searching for these replacement chips is they the same chip depending on what state it is in can either be programmed using the method in the Users manual or they need to be programmed using the tech 2. Thats why some guys on the G8 board would always buy from this one guys whos chips worked right out of the box. Then someone would get a cheaper one on Ebay and it would not work becase it is not in the correct "state" of programming. I cannot explain this because I simply do not understand what is happening but I do know there is some kind of difference. And the only way of doing it is deleting all the keys in your car and adding them all back in with the tech 2. That is why when doing the key recall they ask that you bring in all the keys you want to work with the car.

Thats my best guess anyway. UNless of course you happend to have gotten a key blank without a chip in it?? They cant program it I say get your money back.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White