HELP! ABS/StabiliTrak Fault Light on, keeps blowing F5 Fuse

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
PeePeeV

HELP! ABS/StabiliTrak Fault Light on, keeps blowing F5 Fuse

Post by PeePeeV »

Hello,

I have just purchased a PPV from out of state, and have a bit of an issue. When it came to me, the ABS/Stabilitrak lights were on, and the underhood F5 fuse was blown. After replacing the fuse, the car would drive normally under regular driving circumstances. When under heavy load (wide open throttle), however, the car will blow the F5 fuse, and the lights reappear, presumably because of the loss of connection to the ABS valves. Additionally, I should mention, that although I have never driven a PPV before, the brake pedal feels like there is no pressure for the first inch or so of travel then becomes very stiff.

What could this problem be? ABS module? EBCM? Shoddy removal of upfitting? all opinions and knowledge are appreciated. Thanks!
elc32955
System Manager

Re: HELP! ABS/StabiliTrak Fault Light on, keeps blowing F5 F

Post by elc32955 »

Hey!

Sorry no one's responded to this before now. One of the things that I always take a quick look at is the integrity of the insulation on harnesses, etc... especially if it's a car that's been upfitted and equipment pulled prior to sale. You never know what is hiding in there, long story short I had a 1981 Dodge Diplomat ex-police car that had a mystery stalling problem. It confounded me for about 2 months, then one day I happened to have the hood open when it was misting out and the car stalled, but I saw a very brief arc from the side harness. Turned out it was a gouge in insulation that was causing the computer to ground out momentarily and stop the motor.

I'll have to defer to more knowledgeable parties on why the F5 fuse keeps popping....

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
PeePeeV

Post by PeePeeV »

elc32955 wrote:Hey!

Sorry no one's responded to this before now. One of the things that I always take a quick look at is the integrity of the insulation on harnesses, etc... especially if it's a car that's been upfitted and equipment pulled prior to sale. You never know what is hiding in there, long story short I had a 1981 Dodge Diplomat ex-police car that had a mystery stalling problem. It confounded me for about 2 months, then one day I happened to have the hood open when it was misting out and the car stalled, but I saw a very brief arc from the side harness. Turned out it was a gouge in insulation that was causing the computer to ground out momentarily and stop the motor.

I'll have to defer to more knowledgeable parties on why the F5 fuse keeps popping....

Thanks
Eric
You got it! Harness melted on the exhaust manifold and was shorting out.
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

I recently (2 weeks ago) Bought my PPV. When I drove it off the lot the Stabilitrak fault popped up and continued all the way back home (1 hour drive) The next day I went over the fuses and wiring and didn't actively do anything about it and it went away.

Today 2 weeks later after many trips back and forth I start it and get ABS / Stabilitrak and BRAKE faults (as if the parking brake was engaged). The whole dash was lit with errors. I checked my OBD2 Bluetooth module with Torque Pro and it read no error codes. I drove about a mile, Shut the car, ate pizza, came out, started it.. Same error, Shut it off and started it.. Same error. Then sat there with it running and BSing.. About 15 minutes of running and all the errors just disappeared and the car was normal all the way back home (35 minute drive.) Shut it off and restart and it seems normal again.

So if I am getting very sporadic faults and presumably not blowing any fuses (it would fault all the time if it did right?) then what would my course of action be?
PeePeeV

Post by PeePeeV »

Zeos, check those two wires. Mine would sporadically have the lights go on and off for no reason, and actually underwent a period where there were no errors on the dash whatsoever with a blown F5 still installed, and a period where the fuse would not blow and the light would stay on. I am currently 2500 miles away from my car so I cant take pics of the wires, but they are somewhat hard to see and the melted portion will not be easily visible from the top. To be more specific, mine were not contacting the manifold but rather a metal cylinder near the front of the passenger side manifold.
PeePeeV

Post by PeePeeV »

I should also mention that my BRAKE light was also lit.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Zeos wrote:I recently (2 weeks ago) Bought my PPV. When I drove it off the lot the Stabilitrak fault popped up and continued all the way back home (1 hour drive) The next day I went over the fuses and wiring and didn't actively do anything about it and it went away.

Today 2 weeks later after many trips back and forth I start it and get ABS / Stabilitrak and BRAKE faults (as if the parking brake was engaged). The whole dash was lit with errors. I checked my OBD2 Bluetooth module with Torque Pro and it read no error codes. I drove about a mile, Shut the car, ate pizza, came out, started it.. Same error, Shut it off and started it.. Same error. Then sat there with it running and BSing.. About 15 minutes of running and all the errors just disappeared and the car was normal all the way back home (35 minute drive.) Shut it off and restart and it seems normal again.

So if I am getting very sporadic faults and presumably not blowing any fuses (it would fault all the time if it did right?) then what would my course of action be?

Zeos check this thread for a bit more explination of the wires that PeePeeV found shorted:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1359&p=12381&hilit=abs#p12381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

OK thanks. I will have a look at that bundle.