HP Tuners "trans temp"

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
jackleg

HP Tuners "trans temp"

Post by jackleg »

I'm attempting to perform the "trans clean" and "fast learn" prrocedures. Both show disabled. The trans temp PID indicates "32' all the time. I think this is why the function s are disabled. I posted about this on the HP board and had one reply that the PID won't update and to go by the dash gauge. There is no Dash gauge on the Caprice. And this doesn't seem right anyway. Can someone with a Caprice and HP tuners scan the trans temp PID and let me know if it shows actual temp or stays at 32?
Thanks
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: HP Tuners "trans temp"

Post by smwalker »

Did you go into Engineering Mode on the vehicle to see what that said?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

So, found out there's 2 different PIDs for 'trans temp" 1 in the ECM (stays at 32) and 1 in the TCM shows actual trans temp.
I was logging the wrong one. "Fast Learn" works once up to temp (75-90C).
What's Engineering Mode" I don't see that anywhere.
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Jackleg, I just saw your post and you beat me to a response.

BTW, how do you like the Little Lunati. I've been trying to decide on this, the BTR Stage 1, or the TSP Stage 1. I trust Phil did a good job with the tune.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

jackleg wrote: What's Engineering Mode" I don't see that anywhere.
Hold the steering wheel scroll button while you start the car and it comes up on the DIC

Video of it

Note : Only available on 11-13 Caprices
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

smwalker wrote:
jackleg wrote: What's Engineering Mode" I don't see that anywhere.
Hold the steering wheel scroll button while you start the car and it comes up on the ZcD[/quote

Cool- thanks for posting that
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Silversled wrote:
BTW, how do you like the Little Lunati. I've been trying to decide on this, the BTR Stage 1, or the TSP Stage 1. I trust Phil did a good job with the tune.
Still like it. The other cams you listed have longer durations but the lunati has a high lift- maybe harder on the valve train. RCR had a little little lunati w slightly reduced lift. I was also considering the GM Hot Cam almost identical durations w/.525 lift vs .625. gm uses it in the ls3 hot cam performance crate engine.
lsxjerry may want to chime in here- I think he went with the gt11 cam that has more lift and exhaust duration. We are enjoying similar mpg and 1/4 mile times. When you compare any of these "street" cams to the OEM they are quite a bit bigger and should all produce similar results. I didn't want to over do it on 'Dads Taxi'
I'm happy with the tune, I'd like to get on a dyno tune some day
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I have had no luck doing the trans-reset/learn/cleaning either. I get the trans up to temp, it shows properly, then says "Apply brake" but it doesnt recognize that I am holding the brakes, so I shift into gear, and it tells me to go back into park. I have had no luck getting it to function. I figured the TCM was not compatible with the procedure or something. If you are able to make it work, post it up so I can go back to struggling with it!

Side note, the TSP 225/230 cam on a 112lsa, stock stall converter, long tubes, HP tuners tune from online, no dyno time, and I only drive around town, so I am embarrassed to say my gas mileage, but the car has a great sound to it and drives very well. I have been very happy with it since installation. On the highway on 93 I have seen as high as 23-25, around town on E85 Im usually seeing 8.8-9.5.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

I have not got the "clean procedure" to work- I DID get the "Fast Learn" to work, I just diddn't have the temp up high enough. Even after driving on the highway I still had to lightly brake torque it in the driveway for a few min.

The most helpful description for me is a long post about 1/2 way down page 4 of this thread:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthrea ... fast+learn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once up to temp- eng running in park foot off brake. hit both trans REsets, then trans PREset, then "fast learn" w/ that PID displayed so you can see the instructions: "apply brake" then "shift to Drive". Shows "calibrating" and you can feel the car lurching back and forth and hear things spinning up and down- this goes on for a few min then it shows "complete" When it went to "complete" the engine died and when restarted the car would not move in any shifter position (yikes!) Apparently the routine temporarily commands too low of and idle speed for a cammed engine and it is normal for it to die on completion. After letting it sit for 5 min w/key off was all good. Actually mellowed the shift feel out a bit- still barks the tires on heavy throttle.
I'm chasing a somewhat inconsistent shift feel at medium throttle- nothing alarming just sometimes the shift feels a little slower. Probably due to 140k of squad car service.

On the MPGs- my driving is ~ 3/4 highway so sounds like ours are similar.
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune