Hide a Key Options

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Hide a Key Options

Post by smwalker »

Hey All!

Had something to contribute on this, hope it is helpful.
it was written in another thread:
You also have the scenario of having a key lost or damaged while the car is locked up (sewer drain anyone?). I don't even know if one of these fat keys with the transmitter would fit into a magnetic key holder you could stick somewhere under the car, you'd probably have to bag it securely & tape it to something while the car was on a lift. And hope like hell when you need it you're not wearing good clothes. I haven't seen a key option without a transmitter yet, but that would just get you basic access without start due to the security features.
I recently bought my niece a Saturn Astra that is a rebadged Opel and it has a very similar key to the Caprice PPV. What some companies offer is a button less transponder key that can be cut and programmed to the security system in your car so what you end up with is a basic key that will unlock your door and start your car.

So did some searching and came across a Locksmith Ledger article on the Caprice PPV:
http://www.locksmithledger.com/article/ ... -july-2013

Caprice Police Model
The 2011-2013 Chevrolet Caprice police model (PPV) appears to be a re-badged Holden Statesman using the 60,000 to 62,113 code series. These high security locks use a sidewinder style key. The locks are similar to the Pontiac G8. The transponder is a Philips 2nd Generation Crypto.
Aftermarket key blanks are available clonable or programmable.
According to Bianchi, the HC1UTK100 read/write key blank can be cloned. Comparable key blanks are the:
Ilco cloning compatible key blank is the EK3P- GM45
JMA USA clonable key blank is the TPX4-GM-49D.P
I have not tested either the Ilco or JMA cloners with this vehicle.
The Ilco programmable key blank is the GM45FPT
The JMA USA programmable key blank is the TP12-GM-49D.P
________________END________________________

So looking at the Bianchi product literature you can find info for the Caprice PPV as taking key HC1UTK100
Line from Sheet:
(Caprice PPV 2011-2013 HC1UTK100 (or TK60) A, G A [RED] 60,000-62,113 GM45 (HS) Optional transponder )

So what you would buy in the Bianchi line (could not find good pics of the others) is 2 items:
1. TK100 or TK60 (think either will work) PHILIPS CRYPTO CODE BIANCHI CLONING HEAD
2. HC1U Horseshoe Blade
Then they go together like this:
(That key blade is just an example it's not the GM45 sidewinder style blade that comes in the HC1U model)
Cost should be around $40.00 US before any cutting or programming fees.

Now what is unclear to me is if you need to have a special machine to program these to the car. I know on my Nieces 2008 Astra you did but I seem to recall around 2010 GM started making it possible for owner to program them right in the car with a special sequence. The key lists 2 onboard programming footnotes (A & G) that seems to confirm they can be owner programmed. Taken from this guide from the Bianchi literature on page 37 :
http://www.keyline-usa.com/_handlers/Re ... ashx?id=41

ON BOARD PROGRAM A: GM Pass-Key III (Easily identified by a ‘PK3’ stamped on the blade)
ORIGINATE A NEW KEY:
1. Insert new transponder key and turn ignition to ‘ON’ position.
The dashboard security light will turn on and stay on for 10 minutes.
2. Once the security light goes out, you have one minute to to begin Step 3.
Turn ignition to ‘OFF’ and then back to ‘ON’ position.
3.Repeat Step 2.
4. Once the dashboard security light has turned off for the third time, the key has been successfully programmed.
This is now the only key that is programmed to the system and all previous electronic key codes have been erased.

ADD A DUPLICATE KEY:
1. Insert the newly programmed key and turn ignition to ‘ON’ position and then back to ‘OFF’.
2.Remove existing key, insert new transponder key and turn to ‘ON’ position. THIS MUST BE DONE WITHIN 15 SECONDS.
3. The dashboard security light will come on for two seconds indicating successful programming.

ON BOARD PROGRAM G: 2001+ GM Pass-Key III+ System
(Export vehicles are easily identified by a “2” or “3” in first position of VIN number)

ORIGINATE A NEW MASTER KEY (Master Keys must be used):
1. Properly cut a new GM Master Key.
2. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn it to ‘ON’ position. The ‘THEFT’ light will go on for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Once the light goes out, repeat step 2, two more times.
4. When the ‘THEFT’ light goes out, this indicates successful programming.

PROGRAM A SECOND KEY:
1. After completing the last step for the first key, insert a second Master Key and turn to the ‘ON’ position within 20 seconds. Once the light goes out the key is programmed.
2.Repeat the previous step for programming up to 12 additional keys.

ADD A DUPLICATE KEY (Requires one working key or two working keys for export vehicles):
1. Insert an original key into the ignition and turn ignition to ‘ON’.
2. Once the ‘SECURITY’ light goes out, remove the key.
3 Insert the second original key and turn the ignition to ‘ON’.
4. When the ‘SECURITY’ light goes out, remove the key.
5. Insert the new key and turn the ignition to ‘ON’.
6. Once the ‘SECURITY’ light goes out the new key has been successfully programmed.
_____________________END_____________________

Maybe the G8 guys already know about this as they use the same key setup.
Of course they have OnStar if they get locked out!

Or maybe someone knows a locksmith that can confirm?
Might be a good alternative to hiding one of the more expensive flip or buttoned keys.

Have Fun!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
9C1fanatic

Re: Hide a Key Options

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Another option that I tried successfully on my 2014 Caprice...

I find it odd that the factory key fobs are disabled when a key is detected in the ignition on these cars (at least the 14s). This makes it impossible to leave the engine running, lock the car and use an addition key fob to open the doors. A key must be inserted into the car to get back in which makes keyless entry on a patrol car almost pointless. The Tahoe and Impala also have transponder keys but their fobs are separate and still work when the car is running.

Keeping a folding blade key fob on the belt was not a good option plus having to unfold every time so I did some experimentation with the local dealer. We first ordered a standard keyblank for the Caprice without the fob and had it cut using the VIN. The key worked but was too big and fat. It look just like the blade fob only no buttons and it did not fold.

We then started thinking of other GM vehicles that use laser cut keys with transponders that were slimmer like keys of 10 years ago. We found the new body Silverado 2014 and up use a laser cut key and it is very slim. The factory did not have an order system in place to cut one by VIN because the blank was not a Caprice part number. The dealer ordered the Silverado key blank anyway and when it arrived, he sent the key blank along with the VIN to a dealer in San Antonio that actually has the machine used to cut and duplicate these type of keys. That dealer was able to put the VIN into the machine and cut a Silverado key that fit my car. It works in the doors, trunk and ignition switch. We still did not know for sure if the key would program but at least I knew I could get a slimmer key to use as a back up key. When the key came back, I attempted to program the key and it worked! It will start the engine also.

I find this very useful not just to law enforcement but for anyone that wants to hide a key or take one with them when doing water sports of anykind without having to worry about getting it wet. The key blank looks just like this....

Don't know if it will work for 11-13 cars but its worth a try.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (3.36 KiB) Viewed 21411 times
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Can you let us know the part number of the key?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

GM part # 23209427.

This is the transponder key blank for the 2014 Silverado as pictured in my previous post.

Get ready for this:
Dealer charged $29.82 for the key, $28.50 for "other labor" aka shipping to another dealer and handling, and $50 for the actual cutting of the key which was actually done by another dealer 60 miles away, Gunn Chevrolet in San Antonio, TX. I have no idea what Gunn actually charged my dealership for this service but I bet it was less than $50. If I drove to Gunn directly I could have saved some money but time was of the essence and I had lots of cars to get keys cut for. Total was $108.32 per key. When you get the key it will need to be programed but you can do it yourself as long as you have one original key. Also, they will require you vehicle registration to prove you own the car and to obtain the VIN. Also note, I have not tried this on the 2011-2013 cars, just the 2014. I'm sure it would work in the doors and trunk and maybe ignition but its possible the transponders are incompatible. Only way to know is to try.

BTW they only charged 57$ for a new folding key blade style fob.
Garner Ames

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

If the customer can do the programming yourself as you said. Then heading to any locksmith who has a sidewinder key cutter would be the cheaper option. They can just copy your factory key blade.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Yes, in theory you could do that. Not all locksmiths have that machine but if you can find one that does it should work. I don't know if there is a difference in the quality of the cut on copying an existing key verses using the dealer machine that cuts based on a computer template when the VIN is plugged into it.

Also, going directly to a dealer that has the machine would be cheaper than my route.

To program the key,

1. Insert original key into ignition and turn to run for at least 3 seconds or so but do not start.
2. Turn key to off and remove.
3. Within 10 seconds (I think) inset new key and turn to run.
4. New key is programmed.
Garner Ames

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

As long as you have a good, not too warn, original key the cuts should be fairly equal. But always good to have your factory key code on hand anyway in case you ever lose both keys on a weekend where the GM dealership could not get the info.

Here is a good video explaining the 2 different methods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YgSsSh3nNg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
TXRanger

Post by TXRanger »

I used the part numbers and information in this thread to find a spare key on EBay (Item# 400756163418) for my 2014:

Took the key blank to my local Ace Hardware and they cut it for free. Went home and did the programming procedure, and voila, I had a flat, spare key that operates all doors and starts the car for less than $8.

As of 02/13/16, it's been 2 weeks of daily use and no issues

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400756163418?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Really? Ace Hardware had a sidewinder key cutter? GUess they are getting more common these days. Will have to check my local stores.

And I am still not sure if the Blades are the same from 11-13 and 14 + They went to a different key fob but not sure if th blade inside the fob changed.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Mercedes has been using sidewinder keys since at least the early 80's so I guess more and more businesses are adopting them. I'm going to see if Home Depot's laser machine will do it once I get my PPV on the road.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."