ECM VIN change with HP Tuners

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
Sanford

ECM VIN change with HP Tuners

Post by Sanford »

Thinking about swapping a low mileage 2013 V-6 engine/ECM/engine harness into a same year V-8 car. The V-8 swallowed an exhaust valve and I presently do not want to invest money into a V-8 rebuild since I already have more Caprices than I need.
I have a V-6 car that I picked for a parts car that was totaled from a side impact. It runs and drives great and I hate to see the engine/trans/ECM set in the corner of the shop and go to waste. I know there are other items that would need to be swapped.
I did a little research and it looks like HP Tuners will allow the VIN in the ECM to be changed. Just don’t know how well the V-6 programming will play with the other V-8 modules. I am open to comments, pros and cons and no I don’t have any parts for sell, if anyone is wondering.

David
s/c'd cav

Re: ECM VIN change with HP Tuners

Post by s/c'd cav »

i dont think anyone has tried , and usually the swap from 1 to the other isnt worth it

but if you got it do it , also if both are 13 , then maybe swap all the modules , and cluster over
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Swapping all of the modules was my first choice. The question/problem lies with the emissions testing and registration of the car. VIN number on the won’t match the VIN that they will see when they plug it in for emission testing.
I was going to give the car to my oldest daughter as her car is starting to show it’s age and miles.
With price of low mileage used cars and the present state of the economy, I figure it will save her some money. Plus I have been driving Caprices for about 4 years as a daily driver and they seem to be pretty reliable.

David
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

in that case , im not exactly sure

i used to get my 97 cavalier through emissions each year with a 99 pcm in it , but that was before they tightened up what the look for in the pcm

so i would guess you could try changing the VIN in the pcm in a running car and see if there is any issues , but that will get spendy with licences