Key recall questions...

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
xcidmigs

Re: Key recall questions...

Post by xcidmigs »

ALl the keys come with the remotes attached in a fixed position, there is no PPV with folding keys, the recall fixes the orientation of the key to the body of the remote so you can't accidentally bump the remote portion while driving I guess and shut the car off while going 75mph? You would need only the remote portion with the starter button on it to add that and all that needs to be done is disassemble your existing keys, take the key portion and install that into the new remote. The programming required is for the BCM which is done by White media and then a trip to dealer to add remote start on their end.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I got "in before the fix", with 2 folding keys (G8 style) that I added, with remote start (4 button) transmitters, so I was able to still have the recall done on the original keys AND kept my "dangerous" flip keys. I don't think the G8 flip key can even be purchased now.
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Got my recalls done. I only had 1 key and wanted a spare. I paid for the 2nd key.
Picked up the car and was handed my old original key and 1 new key.
I asked why 1 new and one old with the blades oriented differently and was told they only replace the original key if it was a flip key.
After I got home I found a 3rd new key with no fob buttons in the glove box. Hmm .. This key won't start the engine. I did the key on w/ good key then key on w/ the 3rd key and now all 3 work.
So now I have 3.
Attachments
2016-08-24 12.21.07.jpg
2016-08-24 12.21.07.jpg (123.64 KiB) Viewed 8744 times
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Well that was not done right, any of the incorrectly oriented key blades (on right) are supposed to go in the trash, they cut a new blade portion and install it onto your existing fob shell. Looks like someone did that and then tossed it into the glove box without finishing while they "made" the 2nd key you paid for from 2 new pieces in the middle one? You can just pop it apart yourself and have the 2 correct new orientation keys i guess or buy a 3rd fob? Either way they didn't do what the recall says, maybe you now have a valued part for 20 years from now when someone want to restore, I might just toss that in a envelope with the purchase papers and forget about it myself.