Key recall questions...

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
eagle-co94

Key recall questions...

Post by eagle-co94 »

First, how many keys came with our cars? I only got one but would think that I should have two.

Has anyone gone in to get the recall done and gotten 2 keys? I wonder if the recall will give you a second key if you only have one to give them.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Key recall questions...

Post by Navy Lifer »

James, if you haven't, read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=641&hilit=recall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My recollection is that (depending on the number of keys originally issued), based on the option to have, if memory serves, as many as 6 keys--the standard issue is two keys, and the bulletin is written to provide the same number of replacement keys as issued with the vehicle in production, either 2, or depending on the RPO for the 6-key option being checked when the car is ordered....like you'll need that many!

The keys are actually supplied by GM Parts pre-cut--it is not a matter of taking the existing keys apart and transferring the "guts" physically to a different housing.

Since you have only one key, there is one thing you will need to supply--a new RCDLR/RKE (remote keyless entry) transmitter (the push-buttons) for the second key. It is inexpensive at $26 list price.

PN's (for 2011-2013):

PN 92237316 - RKE transmitter - with remote start
PN 92237318 - RKE transmitter - without remote start

All you should need to do is talk to the friendly parts guys (if you're that lucky) and get them to order the replacement keys based on the recall--all you should need to supply is the VIN and the recall number. They may tell you that you have to get service to do that, but it's going to come to parts to order the new keys at some point, whether they'll play or not, without first involving a service writer.

My point is, the car does not need to be sitting at the dealer (and customer waiting or denied use of the vehicle) while new keys are on order. This is not a safety recall like the Cobalt, where cars were sitting at dealers waiting for parts kits, since there was immediate concern for safety of operation. Better to know the dealer has the parts needed on hand ahead of taking the car in for the actual work directed by the recall.

When the new keys come in, it's then that you would want to get the car to the dealer to swap the keys--they will not just give you the keys, I don't think--in any event, you will have to surrender your original ignition key(s), how ever many you have. Besides just swapping keys & transferring the RKE transmitter(s), what they will do for you is complete the key programming to check that all functions work--the cost of that service is built into the recall, so it costs you nothing further but your time. With a salvage car (that doesn't run?) this is maybe a different problem at this point.

Some dealers may have the equipment to cut keys on site, so I don't know what may happen at any particular dealer--I can only describe just what happened when I went through my local dealer.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So it's looking like this is a two-part process? That is:

1. go to a dealership service department and get your name on the list to get the key(s) redone.
2. they call you when the key(s) come in and you show up so they can swap out the key.

?

It's been YEARS since I've had to do a dealership visit for recalls (that's what happens when you drive used cars most of the time).

Thanks.

GB
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

i had the Dealership check my RPO after they refused to deliver the car to me with the recall not performed. I found it was supposed to have the 2 keys package however my car came to the dealer with 3 keys so they ordered 3 keys for me and changed it all over. Delayed me getting the car for 2 weeks but i got the extra key for nothing.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, the dealer can't force you to submit the car for the recall. Call it two-step or not, my bottom line is I don't care to leave the car with the dealer unless there is no other option. At the same time, I don't have a fear, hatred, or mistrust of dealers as some folks seem to, either....I can understand the sentiment or attitude some folks have after dealing with folks who probably shouldn't be in the "service" business in the first place--fortunately I've come across some good ones, even at the Chevy shop!

My own experience just tells me that a phone call to parts (at the dealer of choice), first, would be better than letting the service writer tell you that you MUST bring in the car and leave it until the recall is completed....to me, a cooperative dealer would be one that does it as I described it.

Even if you do most of your own work, hopefully you've managed to cultivate a good relationship with a dealer, whether local or not....trust me, they aren't all bad!

As for a dealer selling a car with an active recall completed or not prior to delivery, I can understand it, but I'm not sure what the bulletin may say, or what official policy is about allowing a new vehicle to be sold when a "safety of operation" issue is involved--it's not hard to imagine that GM, after being hit hard with this whole key-bumping issue on a number of models, and wrongful death lawsuits, along with the piled-on bad publicity, is going to err on the side of caution when it comes to stuff like this....as a dealer reports sales, GM can cross-match VIN's to active recalls, and come down hard on a dealer if it violates the rules.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Well today I finally gave in and took my car to the local dealer for the recall. They said they had to have the car and it would take about 1 hour. I waited while they supposedly did the work. 45 minutes later they brought the car back out and said it was done. Well I couldn't tell that they had done anything. I have the same key/fob and the key blade is still in the same position as it was when I took the car in.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, go back to my earlier post today and click the link to another Forum thread--right at the top.

In the other thread, about 6 responses down, there's a picture of the original & modified keys....if it was done "right", the key blade is rotated 90 degrees from the previous (original) position.

Let's hope you did get it done, and this isn't a matter of a dealer screw-up or scamming the recall, which would backfire in a big way.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill, no fear, it's just that about every dealer is at least a half hour from me, so it's not an insignificant road trip. Unless I took a day off, it would be at the end of the day, and I'd have to coordinate things with my co-driver if we had to leave it.

I'm just trying to decide if I need to burn a vacation day for this, or if I can pop in to get the process started, and then a quick return trip to finish up at a later date.

I'm figuring that it's a win for me, because I can score that second key I want. :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

when I got my recall done, they just changed the key blade part, with one rotated 90*, while leaving the same transponder part. And since I only had one key, they could do recall work only to that one key I provided, since it's not a complete replacement.
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

Chris_HT wrote:when I got my recall done, they just changed the key blade part, with one rotated 90*, while leaving the same transponder part. And since I only had one key, they could do recall work only to that one key I provided, since it's not a complete replacement.
I have 2 fixed keys with/the remotes attached. I guess the recall had already been done on my car before I purchased it. I wanted remote start so I ordered 2 new keys & 2 new remotes and the were only $58 each.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8