Trailer hitch

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Trailer hitch

Post by Navy Lifer »

Note to some of you - I've included you in an e-mail trail between myself & Draw-Tite, a trailer hitch manufacturer--for background.

Trying to help Steve Eckart come up with a solution in his quest for a hitch mount for his bike rack.

Second round response in progress, and we'll see if there is a reply tomorrow--I'll update everyone when I hear more. The obvious in this is whether anyone has a car in the upper Midwest that might be able to help regarding fitment validation--the company is located in Plymouth MI, a Detroit suburb.

For everyone, one of the things that will be a determining factor in any decision by the manufacturer is the business case to offer a new product that likely has low demand, which WILL be the case (for PPV), I'm confident. So, depending on what you personally would want for your own car--if the hitch is pleasant aesthetically (in appearance) you might consider being able to join a group in one voice to say you would like to add a hitch to your PPV, to convince the company it's worth the effort. If the G8 hitch will work, even with minor mods, that becomes less of a concern.

I do recognize that someone from Draw-Tite may actually read this, and I don't think I've said anything that would cause them to not give the idea of a PPV hitch a fair evaluation. It may be as simple as having a car available.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

I'm surprised there isn't a bike rack system in the works already... I've seen numerous patrol vehicles (Fords mainly) with bike racks for the officer's duty bikes...

Draw-tite would definitely be able to market it to California PD's and any other's that utilize bike patrols...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

From the sidelines methinks there's one basic problem here. Didn't GM make a official recommendation in the owners manual that the car not be used for towing?

Until you can get GM's engineering group to back off that position, I would think that a company that manufactures a component system that goes against GM factory recommendations might be opening themselves up to liability. You know, using a product in an unapproved application that modifies the safety of the vehicle, yada yada....., especially if one day the vehicle is involved in a crash and the hitch plays a part. In the vampiristic society we live in today where the predatory attorneys are just waiting to swoop down like those nasty trolls in the Wizard of Oz ("Injured in a crash? Want what's due to you? Call our staff of specially trained financial suction-ologists NOW at 1-800-BleeDry for a free no-cost consultation!"), companies making products for commercial distribution are usually very, very careful.

You might be stuck purchasing the WM Caprice hitch down under and paying through the nose to import it. Not trying to be the eternal pessimist here, but just a-sayin.... :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

If it is that much of a problem, and I was really hung up (personally) about having a hitch, I would get the Draw-Tite G8 piece and figure out (myself) how to modify it to work.

What could possibly be the issue with towing, anyway....gear ratio? Wonder if the SS will be tow-rated?

Was G8 tow-rated--anyone know?

See my further comments in the Remote Start thread.....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Here's what GM says in the 2011 owners manual, page 9-44....

Towing. General Towing Information. The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.

I was tossing this issue around in my head this morning and had a thought of a possible way around the GM conundrum on towing. Wonder if a receiver could be designed that's non tow-rated but would support things like a bicycle rack on a Class I adapter, wheelchair carrier for the ADA folks, etc....? That would get around the GM tech recommendation while also providing some light hauling capability.

The car itself, because of the extended wheelbase and phenominal back seat room could be a good fit as well for the mobility impared community. So, instead of Draw-Tite, maybe a business that specializes in outboarding wheelchair carriers and such would be a better fit. Since you're not towing, the bracing and attachments required wouldn't be as substantial (but would arguably be similar). If a Class I hitch is made for the G8, a machine shop could probably modify one with a longer end to stick far enough out past the bumper, at least to make a prototype design for possible manufacture down the road. Then any range of options could be fitted to the receiver.

I did check the G8 owners manual (on-line), pages 9-89 through 9-93 cover towing. The G8, it turns out IS rated for towing, 2,000 lb trailer max. This makes the issue even more perplexing. What is so different about the Caprice's design from that of the G8 that GM would not tow-rate the car?

Anyway, just some thoughts. Personally I think it's bordering on the idiotic that GM didn't think the potential uses of the platform through more throughly and expand the available options. Cops ride bicycles and have to haul them around. A bike carrier would have been a good fit for the car and would have lent itself readily to Law Enforcement use.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

And not to belabor the weirdness, but here's what Holden has listed on their site on towing for the Caprice V. It's rated at up to 2100kg (4,700 lbs).

Towing package - 2100kg

Holden provides a full range of towing equipment to suit your needs. The 2100kg towing kit is available with a range of accessories to suit every requirement. Only Holden approved tow bars are designed specifically for your vehicle, and are covered by Holden's warranty. Price quoted includes towbar, tounge, wiring harness, equaliser hitch and rear fascia escutcheon. Mandated brake equipment requirements apply when trailer loads exceed 750kg, please refer to Owner's Handbook for further information. Mandated load distribution equipment requirements apply when trailer loads exceed 1600kgs.

I'm thinking more overcautious attorneys now. Unless there's something really, really special about the police upfitting on our cars, but I'm not seeing it.

Hey Troutman, do you have the Caprice V owners handbook handy for the 2011 & up cars? If so what does it say about towing?

Eric
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

I saw this, although I understand the reasoning for wanting a hitch mount bike carrier...

http://www.policebikestore.com/Merchant ... kster-rack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

elc32955 wrote:I'm thinking more overcautious attorneys now.
Exactly. I've already been through this with my friend's '04 GTO. It says the same thing in the manual (not designed for towing). Yet in AU, there is a hitch available, and the AU owners manual does not have this disclaimer. We ordered a hitch for his car and installed it in my garage. He tows a small utility trailer with no problem.

Many new GM cars have this in their manuals now. I totally think it has to do with lawyers and marketing. The lawyers are obvious. The marketing is more nefarious. They want you to buy a truck or SUV for "towing". More profit (since trucks and SUVs have a higher profit margin) and less liability. GM management couldn't be happier.

The PPV doesn't have much capacity for additional weight (GVWR) when fully loaded with people and equipment, so I imagine this is part of the problem. But I will never have my Caprice in that state (no police equipment and only 2 people at any given time on vacation). I've kept my steel wheels and the extra coolers should all contribute to a nice towing vehicle (for a small load).

I only want to tow a small boat trailer. It's much less than 1000 pounds fully loaded. So I see no problem with that. I'll take the risk. As I mentioned before, there is a cutout in the lower rear valance for the receiver, so it's obvious that the AU version can tow, and there should be a hitch available out of the box.

I have been using one of my B-Bodies to tow the boat, but my '95 Caprice overheated last weekend 100 miles into the trip and was annoying. The thermostat wasn't that old and it stuck shut. I'm kinda sick of having nickle-and-dime problems with my older B-Bodies on long trips and it would be nice to use a "new" car that I don't have to worry about -- at least for a while.

If I can get my hands on a hitch designed for the AU Caprice, I'll be happy to buy it, install it, and use it as a test mule and report back here.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Tom Slick wrote:I saw this, although I understand the reasoning for wanting a hitch mount bike carrier...

http://www.policebikestore.com/Merchant ... kster-rack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
Tom Slick
Ever used one of those on a car? They are junk. The straps have hooks that go under the trunk lip and scratch the paint. Heavy mountain bikes bend the truck lid lip. They come loose on long trips... Need I go on? I much prefer a hitch mount.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Tom,

OK, here you go...... ask and you SHALL receive :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-State ... 27bc949222

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WM-STATESMAN ... 19d3c401ab

And this one is auto salvage....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-STATE ... 2324cf7ac4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also found on some quick research that a company called Hayman Reese makes a 4700lb (2100kg) towbar for the Caprice V, it's concealed design, shipped weight is 26.5 kg. Here's their URL, they have a number of resellers....

http://www.haymanreese.com.au

Not sure where Holden gets their OEM bar from, maybe Troutman or C.P. can help out on that info.

Thanks and good luck!
Eric