Techline Connect / SPS2 - E4398: No supported calibrations found

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
rcg530

Techline Connect / SPS2 - E4398: No supported calibrations found

Post by rcg530 »

Last year I created a video showing how I updated the BCM in my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV to change the four configuration options (aux battery, rear door window switches, auto headlamps & DRLs and theft system). That was accomplished by using a 2-year subscription from ACDelco TDS for $40 USD per VIN. That subscription allowed me to run the GM Service Programming System (SPS) to update calibration files in the various ECUs in the vehicle.

From what I was told by ACDelco TDS tech support, in July 2021, GM switched dealerships over to using a new Techline Connect (TLC) software system which provides access to an updated Service Programming System (SPS2). On September 5, 2021, the ACDelco TDS side of the offering (for third party service shops, etc) was updated to use the newer Techline Connect (TLC) software as well.

I thought I would check it out and see how it worked or if it worked. In general, the process is the same as before (overall), but after selecting the VIN from your list of VINs you have subscriptions for in the ACDelco TDS side, it now invokes the new Techline Connect software. You need to download the newer software (of course) and get it installed. You need a Windows 10 Pro computer with 8+ GB of RAM and at least 100 GB of free disk space.

I was able to get everything installed successfully. You can now use Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browsers as well with the new software.

I decided I would attempt to reconfigure my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV's BCM one more time.

I was able to get to the point of selecting the four configuration options and then when SPS2 tried to retrieve the BCM calibration file info from the GM servers, it failed with error "E4398: No supported calibrations found".

That error is documented as being a GM server side "issue", but I checked my laptop to make sure I didn't have any problem on the laptop. The laptop was setup ok and it met all of the system requirements for TLC and SPS2.

I ended up calling ACDelco TDS support and waited on hold for 2 hours 35 minutes. That was fun.

The tech on the phone agreed that the SPS2 calibration file info is not present for my vehicle (or Caprice PPVs in general).

The only option at this point is to allow the tech to remotely connect to your computer and they will login to the older system using login credentials that are allowed to run the older SPS software.

At this time, there is no date that GM will state when the Caprice PPV calibration info will be available to use with SPS2 other than it should get corrected over time.

I'm going to try and put together a "short" video on this topic tomorrow.

Here's the error in SPS2 when it tried to retrieve the BCM calibration file info for my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV:
sps2_e4398_error.jpg
sps2_e4398_error.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 6672 times
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
rcg530

ACDelco TDS - Techline Connect - E4398 No Supported Calibrations Found - 9/2021

Post by rcg530 »

ACDelco TDS was updated on 9/5/2021 to utilize the GM Techline Connect software which provides access to Service Programming System version 2.

I decided to get my Windows 10 computer updated with the GM Techline Connect software and verify if it works with my 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV.

Unfortunately, I encountered error "E4398: No supported calibrations found!".

I show the installation of the GM Techline Connect software, the E4398 and the only workaround to the error available currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiRXK1uOSrE
Mooseman

Re: Techline Connect / SPS2 - E4398: No supported calibrations found

Post by Mooseman »

Well that's just great! I was going to play around with reprogramming a spare cluster I got to get the shift indicator working on my '11 but looks like the Tech 2 is not listed in supported tools unless it's just because yours is a '14. So unless it's because of the year (2011 still works with the Tech 2), I might have to get an MDI too.

Instead of the rigamaroll of having them remotely connect to your computer and login to the old TDS, they could just as easily allow your login to work instead of their ultra secret login, which could easily be found out by running a keystroke recorder even if they use a private browser session. I'm sure there are other low production vehicles (RV's and tow trucks come to mind) that are having this same problem.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am Well that's just great! I was going to play around with reprogramming a spare cluster I got to get the shift indicator working on my '11 but looks like the Tech 2 is not listed in supported tools unless it's just because yours is a '14. So unless it's because of the year (2011 still works with the Tech 2), I might have to get an MDI too.

Instead of the rigamaroll of having them remotely connect to your computer and login to the old TDS, they could just as easily allow your login to work instead of their ultra secret login, which could easily be found out by running a keystroke recorder even if they use a private browser session. I'm sure there are other low production vehicles (RV's and tow trucks come to mind) that are having this same problem.
I would expect the Tech 2 should still work as a J2534 pass through device, but since I don't have a Tech 2 I may not have the software on my laptop to make it one of the options (by name at least) for a device to work with SPS2.

I would suggest calling the ACDelco TDS support line 888-212-8959 and asking that question.
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

Have they gotten our cars in the system yet?
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

I tried Techline Connect SPS2 in mid April 2022. I still could not use it to reconfigure my 2014 Caprice's BCM. I called and was told there's no specific date when the Caprice will be fully present/supported in Techline Connect SPS2. The support rep almost implied it was because it was a police service vehicle and there are so few of them that it may not be a priority to get functional in Techline Connect.

The "workaround" (still) is you will have to call ACDelco Techline Connect support, explain the situation and the support rep will establish a remote connection into your computer to run the old SPS to configure what you need configured.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I was able to turn on the daytime running lights\automatic headlights and enable the rear door locks on my 14 some time ago (November 2021) with the TechLine Connect program. I use a VXDiag Nano (https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2Win- ... RydWU&th=1) I got off Amazon and it works fine. I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about or not.
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

Lord Vader wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:21 pm I was able to turn on the daytime running lights\automatic headlights and enable the rear door locks on my 14 some time ago (November 2021) with the TechLine Connect program. I use a VXDiag Nano (https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2Win- ... RydWU&th=1) I got off Amazon and it works fine. I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about or not.
It's not the J2534 device that's the problem, it's the calibration file information present (or not present) in the Techline Connect SP2 product. I believe there are limited updates that can be made in the 14-17 BCM depending on the items changed. Your change was only toggling two BCM selections. My BCM changes impacted all four configurable settings (AUX battery, DRL/Auto Headlamps, Rear door window switches and theft alarm). I removed the aux battery and related hardware from my 14 Caprice so I needed to turn off the setting in the BCM for that and I wanted the theft alarm activated in the BCM. With all four of those settings changed, the dreaded E4398 error shows up when it checks with SPS2 for the calibration files that would correspond to the selection BCM configuration options.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I checked again this morning and the BCM programming file is still not downloadable for my 2014. I've got a call into SPS to see what they have to say about it. So as of 6/25/22 we still can't program BCMs.
This is kinda crazy. What about the guys that are replacing a BCM and can't program it?
Joe
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

JoeR wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:35 am I checked again this morning and the BCM programming file is still not downloadable for my 2014. I've got a call into SPS to see what they have to say about it. So as of 6/25/22 we still can't program BCMs.
This is kinda crazy. What about the guys that are replacing a BCM and can't program it?
Joe
You can't program it with SPS2, but SPS should still work. You'll have to call into ACDelco's Techline Connect support and wait for a tech to answer. Explain the E4398 error and they should be able to setup a remote connection to your computer and they will run the older SPS to get the BCM programming done.