MDI 2 Clone

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
JRWolff

MDI 2 Clone

Post by JRWolff »

Hi All,

I just purchased an MDI 2 clone that came with a hard drive that has the GM MDI manager and Tech2Win software on it. The package did not come with any instructions or guidance. My reason for buying this was to be able to re-enable the interior lights to come on when the doors are opened and also to turn off DOD. Even though the add for the device says it will do all of this programming, from what i have found doing some additional research, is that I will need additional downloads from acdelcotds to actually be able to do anything.

Hoping to pick up a used laptop to install the hard drive in within the next few days. In the interim, I'm reaching out here to see if anyone has any experience with the clone MDI 2 and hard drive. Am i correct in that i will also need a subscription to acdelcotds? Would i be better off just downloading the software on my "daily" laptop and just using it rather than getting another laptop and installing the hard drive that came with the MDI 2?

Any thoughts, advice, experience or guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: MDI 2 Clone

Post by smwalker »

This is a good video I saw on it. HE recommends reloading the software straight from BOSCHE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfXuuzORZo
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Although I don't have any experience with the MDI, I do have a Tech 2 that I used as a passthrough on my '11. Using the MDI will be basically the same. And yes, you will need a subscription to ACDelco TDS to do reprogramming. The interior dome light with the door opening can be done because that option is available however you will not be able to disable DOD with it since that was never an option. For that, you need tuning software and hardware such as HPTuners.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Thanks Steve and Mooseman. I appreciate your responses. I was able to download the GM MDI manager software directly to my daily laptop and connect to the clone MDI 2, so I know at least that part of it works. I have a used laptop in route to install the hard drive that came with the MDI 2 - the hard drive is supposed to have the TECH2WIN software pre-loaded, so I think that i am going to give it a try before purchasing another copy of software directly from ACDELCOTDS. Please advise if you think this may be a bad idea and if it has the potential to hose my car in any way. Looks like i will need a subscription to ACDELCOTDS whether I download the software from the site or use whatever is on the hard drive that came with the clone in order to do any programming changes.

If anyone else has any experience with the hard drive that contains the MDI manager software and TECH2WIN software that comes with a MDI 2 clone, please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks again for the help.

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 GMC Syclone
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

So i got my used laptop today and installed the hard drive that came with the MDI 2 Clone. Laptop booted up without any issues. The following software is pre-loaded on the laptop:
Alpemix
Bus Data Diagnostic Tool
GDS 2
GM MIDI Manager
Tech2Win
RDS3
drivethelife6

Alpemix appears to be a remote desktop application - I think i should delete it before attempting to connect the laptop to my car.
drivethelife6 appears to be some type of windows driver update tool - I think I should delete it as well.

RDS3 appears to be related to the MDI, but i cannot find any confirmation. Open for suggestions/info.

I will do some more research on all the programming before attempting connection to my Caprice. If anyone has any info, thoughts or guidance, please feel free to reply.

Thank much!
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 GMC Syclone
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I would definitely remove that remote desktop thing, especially since it came from China.

What version of Windows does it boot into?
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi Mooseman,

The laptop boots into Windows 7. I think along the same lines as you. I will remove the remote desktop (Alpemix) software and driver update software (drivethelife6) before i ever connect to the internet or to my Caprice. Last thing I want to do is brick any of the modules in the car. I'm really skeptical about using it at all, thus the delay in actually attempting a connection. I was hoping someone on here would have used the same package and could have said it worked flawlessly, however that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've also been surfing the web trying to get some additional feedback as well and have not found any user reports, either good or bad. I guess sometime I will get the courage to connect it to my car and see what it does.

Thanks for your input!!

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 GMC Syclone
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

If you are looking for more info, the other forum I'm on just posted this excellent resource of documentation, including stuff about SPS, MDI and MDI2:

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/ad ... ost-625761