Aussie Lip Spoiler - $270 Delivered!

This is a forum section to coordinate "group" or mass parts purchases on behalf of our members. Moderated by NavyLifer.
Forum rules
SPECIAL NOTE - Unless the Group Purchase is either directly negotiated or sold by the New Caprice management, we have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
xcidmigs

Re: Aussie Lip Spoiler - $270 Delivered!

Post by xcidmigs »

I redid mine last week with heavy duty marked 3m tape, after spending way too long cleaning the old crap off both spoiler and the decklid used brake cleaner etc, it looked ok and was flat on car, has been 90 degrees all week here with car sitting in full sun parking lot I just saw the one side is all pulled up like 1/8" gap easily. I'm not real happy with this at this point what can I be doing wrong? with no tape it sits flat no problem at all.
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Got my spoiler today, shipping was quick. thanks Karo!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

indianajoe wrote:Got my spoiler today, shipping was quick. thanks Karo!
Good answer!! :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

xcidmigs wrote:I redid mine last week with heavy duty marked 3m tape, after spending way too long cleaning the old crap off both spoiler and the decklid used brake cleaner etc, it looked ok and was flat on car, has been 90 degrees all week here with car sitting in full sun parking lot I just saw the one side is all pulled up like 1/8" gap easily. I'm not real happy with this at this point what can I be doing wrong? with no tape it sits flat no problem at all.
I'm kind of wondering if the notches in the underside for clips might be better places to epoxy bolts to use to bolt the part down in more than one place? Still thinking about this.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Has anyone tried an adhesive promoter before installing the spoiler? Got a spoiler from Karo today and he mentioned someone had success with an adhesive promoter.

I see 3M makes some to use with their VHB line of tapes.
Info: 3M Industrial Adhesives

3M 111 dries clear, smallest container is 8 ounces About $35

3M 94 Dries Clear/yellow Smallest container is a pen sized applicator (used a lot in the Vinyl wrap market) - about $3.00 each

I have some 94 on the way will report back in a few months how it helps with the factory stick tape. If that fails I will switch the the 3M tape and see if that fares any better.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

My spoiler arrived in 3 days + 2 due to needing a signature at delivery- (understandably so)
Thank you!!
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'm kind of wondering if we need to use those studs, or something similar in all 5 places? The ability to pull the spoiler down all along the length might make it less susestible to the adhesive coming up?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm kind of wondering if we need to use those studs, or something similar in all 5 places? The ability to pull the spoiler down all along the length might make it less susestible to the adhesive coming up?
Yea I thought of that to but was wondering if the expansion of the metal could have a detrimental effect on the plastic if it was secured to tightly down not allowing any movement.. I mean there is access to the underside of the deck you would have though if Holden thougt it was a good idea they would have bolted it.. Unless it was just a strictly manufacturing decision where it was too much effort to get a hand in there and secure a bolt and would rather just snap it together. That sounds just as plausible.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'd really bet it's a manufacturing decision. The rear spoiler on a 94-96 Impala SS is a bolt-on affair with 3M tape along the front and back edges. It seems a similar construction to me.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

seems hard to believe they would go to all that design of the clips if a bolt would do better? Also I can't see cars not coming in for warranty replacement of that tape from sitting in the sun in AU and we haven't heard of that. I have to think its just using the right tape and getting it installed right.