Group Purchase for Car Covers - Poll

This is a forum section to coordinate "group" or mass parts purchases on behalf of our members. Moderated by NavyLifer.
Forum rules
SPECIAL NOTE - Unless the Group Purchase is either directly negotiated or sold by the New Caprice management, we have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.

Are you interested in a Car Cover Group Purchase?

1. Yes
50%
2. No
No votes
3. Maybe
50%

Total votes: 4

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Group Purchase for Car Covers - Poll

Post by Navy Lifer »

If it can be arranged and is deemed worth any potential savings to be realized (over individual purchase), please indicate your interest--it is not a binding commitment, in any way.

As already mentioned, price is not a specific number--rather we would hopefully negotiate a discount for the GP, which might be quantity-dependent, with price breaks at certain quantity order points.

I have not spoken with Covercraft about whether they will even consider a GP, so this all may be for naught, but I thought it worth trying, and I'd rather be able to tell the sales folks how many could potentially be purchased at once--regardless of the fact that every cover ordered in the GP may be of different material or color, thus possibly each a different price.

This will probably be a one-time effort, and I'll pull the poll down if or when we actually submit a GP order.

In the meantime, I'll inquire about pricing and material options to give everyone some idea of the range of cost, based on material used, for a custom-fit PPV cover.
storm9c1

Re: Group Purchase for Car Covers - Poll

Post by storm9c1 »

I wonder if so many are voting "maybe" because we need more information about the cover. I voted "yes" but only if the cover meets my needs (soft material, mirror cutouts, good fitment, etc).
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, my intent was only to have some idea of the level of interest--so that when I do hear back from Covercraft on the viability of a GP - intended to save on cost - it will be possible to provide some rough numbers, so they can (hopefully) offer some sort of discount, while still giving everyone their specific/personal choice in cover specs.

To be clear, these covers are made from a specific vehicle pattern, and are not generic-fit. They do have vehicle mirror and antenna pockets.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Navy Lifer wrote:Tom, my intent was only to have some idea of the level of interest--so that when I do hear back from Covercraft on the viability of a GP - intended to save on cost - it will be possible to provide some rough numbers, so they can (hopefully) offer some sort of discount, while still giving everyone their specific/personal choice in cover specs.

To be clear, these covers are made from a specific vehicle pattern, and are not generic-fit. They do have vehicle mirror and antenna pockets.
Cool. Thanks. My car really needs a cover -- considering it only has 3000 miles on it. It spends most of its life sleeping. The cover should keep her cozy. ;)
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Pricing information makes all the difference...

The easy way to get price information is to ask for quotes of specific #'s... 5, 10, 20, 50... ask them about rice breaks if a certain # is reached (group buy)...

Not hard to do... I get quotes all the time for work...

Later,
Tom
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Group Purchase for Car Covers - Poll - update

Post by Navy Lifer »

OK, after speaking to my contact at Covercraft, it turns out the best approach is to work with one of their retailers--the largest cover retailer in the US is California Car Cover Co. There are plenty of others, including Summit, and virtually any chain auto parts store that sells special order items, including car covers can get Covercraft covers, too.

Here's what I got from the conversation I just had with a sales rep at CCCC.

1. Since this is a unique, very low production model, everything will be "special order"--there is nothing "on the shelf" (ready to ship) anywhere.

2. All covers sold by CCCC come from the Covercraft factory, and will have the CCCC logo unless you want it plain (no cost) or something embroidered (up to 7 characters is $20, and $2 each for additional letters). They cannot use the Chevy Bowtie logo, as a licensing issue, but the word Caprice (just happens to be 7 letters), a license plate number, initials, etc. could be added, for example.

3. All covers drop ship from Covercraft, flat cost of $14 to any US address. PA residents must pay 6% (currently) tax and CA residents must pay 9% tax.

4. I did not inquire about indoor-only covers, so this information won't be of any help. CCCC takes the position that indoor covers can't be used outside, but outdoor covers can be used inside.

5. Outdoor cover choices can be viewed here: http://www.calcarcover.com/howtoselect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6. Basic pricing for the C17213 custom-fit cover pattern would be as follows--see material definitions in link above:

a. Superweave
Bright colors - $432 (or two-tone)
Grey or Taupe - $385

b. Noah - $276

c. Stormweave - $243

d. Ultraweave - $308 (all colors)

e. Multiweave II - $200

There are probably a few other details I'm not including here or did not ask about. All covers would be treated as individual orders, so, unless we put together a true "Group" order (not clear if that means all identical or some other defined limitation on a multiple-cover order) there may not be any real savings over individual purchase.

The one way to "save" would be having all covers shipped to the same location, but that won't work for us, as this isn't a local group with numerous folks in the same basic area or region....re-shipping would yield no savings, other than allowing anyone in CA or PA to avoid paying tax, which might be worth considering.

CCCC is located in Chatsworth CA, near LA (in the "valley")--Pacific time zone. If you want to initiate an order or get more specific information, you can call Toll Free at (800) 423-5525.

While it may not matter, it would probably be helpful to use a single point of contact, since the C17213 cover (listed as Holden Caprice) is something that isn't common. I suggest that if you do call CCCC, contact James @ Ext 118.

If this information is helpful for any of you who may consider buying a cover, and want me to pursue a group order price arrangement, please respond to the poll or drop me a PM or e-mail. For anyone who may wish to buy an indoor-only cover, it will be best to contact CCCC or another preferred source directly.

Finally, in case anyone is wondering, the prices that CCCC sells these covers will generally be less than the price you would likely pay if you tried to buy directly from Covercraft. Also, if you look in the back of most automotive enthusiast magazines (Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Road & Track or possibly the ad section in Autoweek), you may find an ad for Covercraft covers with free shipping (based on an ordering code in the ad), which may or may not actually save any on cost, based on cover type or sourcing.

Bottom line, covers that are custom-fit to the Caprice are available--you have choices, even if it's to not buy one.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a note - was doing some system cleanup & since this topic dealt with a group purchase I moved it into the GP forum. I know this is very old...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Three years old, so, yes. But I would say yes to the survey.
Last edited by CrashTestDummy on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I would be interested in the cover also.
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof