Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
lastcall190

Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Post by lastcall190 »

Quick question:

In a pinch I got a M16x1.5 adapter to thread into the OP sensor hole (to facilitate a mech gauge for oil pressure check). The threaded length looks like it might be a touch longer than the stock sensor. IF NEEDED, could I pull the lifter filter thing to ensure the adapter threads in enough so as not to leak? Should I hit with some teflon tape as well since the stock sensor seemed to have something put on there initially? Never used one of these things on an LS before. My old LS1s were always around 20psi on the stock gauge give or take, should I be looking to similar numbers here? Thanks.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
lastcall190

Re: Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Post by lastcall190 »

Well I installed the adapter, all went seemingly well. Fired up the car, no leaks, pressure shot up to 40psi. Let the car idle for about 5-10 minutes, enough for the cooling fans to kick on, pressure leveled off to about 37psi. OK fine. Gave a couple revs, pressure increased accordingly, and proceeded to give it a quick road test. 25-55mph through local roads. When coming OFF throttle, pressure dropped to about 30psi then came back up. When I finally came home, pressure had decreased at hot idle to about 19-20psi. I guess that's ok, reminds me of my stock LS1 (I can't find the L77 spec right now).

Then as I popped the hood to double check for any leakage, I smelt some coolant, and a ticking started to come out like a bear coming out of the cave :roll: I mean WTF.

Shut off the car, there was some smoke coming from the radiator-ish area, but I didn't smell any coolant in my exhaust. Faint smell in engine bay, nothing more. Fired up the car again, no noise at first, then the tick came. DOD has been disabled, and according to carfax the dealer replaced the cam and lifters only 7k miles ago. The drive I took was not what I would call "spirited" but the car felt fine. I suppose it doesn't matter.

Side note, my balancer chirps like a MF'er, though it doesn't wiggle as bad as some I've seen.

Guess I should start shopping DOD delete components. With no garage and in the middle of winter, anyone in NJ have a decent mechanic for this work if I can't manage in my driveway?

-J

Edit: I should add that on my test drive the hood was closed but not latched. Not sure if it matters, perhaps my cam ran off with some bearings when I got back in the driveway.
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Jeff 9c3

Post by Jeff 9c3 »

You should have about 10 psi. Per. 1000 rpms
So 1000 should be 10 / 25
2000 20 / 35
3000 35 / 45
Now this depends apon how the engine has been taken care of and how the internals are health wise.
I have 140 k almost on my ppv at idle hot in drive i get 22 / 25 psi. In gear at highway speeds I get 45 to 50 psi.
2012 caprice ppv 9c3 . 135k & climbing daily.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Did a DOD delete around the time the post was made, car has been running great since then. Thanks for the reply, and yes I had always subscribed to the 10psi/1k RPM idea as well.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

rustybullet

Post by rustybullet »

should be 40psi warm idle.

20psi on a stock guage seems about right at time as the stock guages usually read off some. your best bet is to go mechanical i say.