DoD question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Black6

DoD question

Post by Black6 »

Has anyone put the DoD on a switch that you can control manually, since the computer does such an awful job at controlling it itself.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
Silversled

Re: DoD question

Post by Silversled »

Black6 wrote:Has anyone put the DoD on a switch that you can control manually, since the computer does such an awful job at controlling it itself.
DOD hardware is controlled by the computer, not the other way around. Even if you could hardwire a trigger to the DOD circuit (would be easy actually), I am not aware of a way to trigger the ECM to control it. There are VVE and spark modification tables that the ECM will need to reference to make it run. The ECM is the one that dictates when DOD is activated and then references said tables.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Black6

Post by Black6 »

Silversled wrote:
Black6 wrote:Has anyone put the DoD on a switch that you can control manually, since the computer does such an awful job at controlling it itself.
DOD hardware is controlled by the computer, not the other way around. Even if you could hardwire a trigger to the DOD circuit (would be easy actually), I am not aware of a way to trigger the ECM to control it. There are VVE and spark modification tables that the ECM will need to reference to make it run. The ECM is the one that dictates when DOD is activated and then references said tables.
Correct. Let me re-phrase the question then. How can I make a button that tells the ECU to run in 4 cyl mode or v8 mode. Toggle switch. One or the other. Rather than making it so the computer decide when it goes into 4cyl mode or v8 mode.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I don't think you could force V4 or V8 mode but you could suppress V4 mode. You can add a switch to the wiring to the vacuum sensor on the brake booster. When that sensor is unplugged, V4 mode doesn't come on but eventually will get an CEL. Something like this would be useful if driving city vs. highway.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I know the question is about controlling DOD, but could you disable it by pressing the Sport Mode button?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

No.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419