Need help with engine noise

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
BadgedBowtie

Re: Need help with engine noise

Post by BadgedBowtie »

jackleg wrote:Got it running (finally)!
I ended up putting headers and a x.pipe on it. Still have to figure out the rest of the exhaust. Sounded good with just headers and the x-pipe. "And there's no drone at 1800 rpm " :lol:
Got a little coolant drip from the oil cooler fittting on the engine block.
getting close to a test drive

SWEET !.. I just posted my question as you were writing.. LOL any and all updates appreciated !
LEGATUM VICECOMITEM
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Man, I think if I went the route to pull the engine to rebuild, I'd opt for an aftermarket air/oil cooler and G8 radiator hoses. That water/oil thing just screams 'trouble down the road' to me. But yeah, that's moar money.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

BadgedBowtie wrote:Any updated progress on your re-build Jack? Any update also on the tunes that you're considering going with? What led you to pursue the lunati that you went with.. sorry for all of the stupid ??? its just that I am sitting with a 60K miler and want to avoid a total tear down and am looking for some options of my own.

Thanks and keep us posted !

Watching this thread closely.. subscribed..
No stupid questions- I kinda just plowed into this thing. My original plan was to buy a Caprice, drive it through the summer, and do some mods this winter. I bid low (I thought) on this one, knowing it had some issues and ended up "winning" it. So, oh well, I guess this is the one! Didn't want to drive it w/the noise in the engine so I took it apart to see what its made of. I read up on the cams the G8 folks are using and all the DOD delete info I could find. There's so many choices.. Texas Speed, Livernois, etc. The "Little Lunati" just kept coming up. I wanted "normal" street RPM range, stock converter and rear axle. I picked that one because it seemed to be the thing to do at the time- the road is full of dead squirrels that couldn't make a decision - we'll see. quite a few people have been successful with it. I ordered mine from Rick Crawford, the advance is +0, If ordered from Lunati (#60516) its +4. For the tune, I'm working with a HP Tuners setup w/ support

CrashTestDummy- I gave some thought to the oil cooler. I think the coolant cooled cooler will be better than air cooled at maintaining the oil temp consistent- not too hot or too cold. As far as potential leaks that would be bad for sure! It is quite heavy and seems to be built well. I remember working at the dealer years ago and fixing a front wheel drive V6 with the strawberry milkshake for transmission fluid and the swelled up radiator hoses (from trans cooler leak in the radiator). That system cross contaminates because the trans fluid to the cooler is on the return loop and is only ~12 psig so fluid goes in the coolant until the cooling system heats up and pressurizes, then coolant enters the transmission. W/ the engine oil cooler, I'd think there'd be quite a bit of oil in the coolant and not the other way around as the engine oil pressure should always be higher than the cooling system pressure except when the engine is just shut down.
Last edited by jackleg on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Some are eliminating them altogether, but I'd like to keep at least some cooling on the engine. Yes, it'll help warm the oil when too cool, and cool it when it gets hot, so it's a very nice setup. It's what happens down the road is what I'm worrying about, and air/oil would be less likely to corrode, probably be lighter, and still cool the oil. There are thermostats available for the LS engine from Improved Racing and others. That, and you enjoy a little simpler cooling system. While the G8 is an old model, I still suspect the radiator hoses for those will be more common than the Caprice in a few years.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Drove it to the muffler shop and back- quite loud on he way there and quite sensible on the way back. I went with the 2 1/2" Dynomax Super Turbos and really like them- don't want to attract too much attention. I can barely hear the exhaust inside the car unless I'm on it ( haven't really spun it up yet with the new parts) this isn't exactly a quiet cabin anyway. My 2007 Sierra classic Work Truck is quieter as far as road/wind noise.
The initial tune file is loaded and it seems to run good. A little surge at the stop light or in high gear w/ converter clutch and low (1100) rpm. Recorded the data and sent it back for fine tuning.

Ill post up some exhaust pics, video, and MPG results when its all set.
Might take it down to Osceola on a Test and Tune day just to see what itll do, that won't be until after I get some miles clocked on it.

Best part- no more engine noise!

The cam did have a small chip on one of the lobes and the 2 pistons were scuffed. The rings were still free, it prob would have ran for quite some time and been OK with just the cam and lifters ,but hey, I know what its made of now- and I built it.
The lower Rad hose was double clamped (spring clamp slid down the hose a bit and a worm band clamp in its place, so It may have been run low on coolant before I got it.
The crank and bearings looked very nice with hardly any wear. (new bearings anyway- theyre cheap)
Overall not bad for 140k of police service!

Thank you all for your help on this.
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Well, I have about 800 miles on it and it's mostly all sorted out. The transmission had some issues shifting from 2-3. I did not go with BlackBear for the tune as they diddn't seem to support HPTuners- I went with another individual who I basically gave up on due to waiting weeks for updates. I contacted Phil at Tampatuning and he figured it out overnight- I emailed the current tune and found a fixed tune in my inbox the next morning. Too bad for me, I didn't find them in the first place- oh well, live and learn..
Been averaging 18-24 MPG, is quite drivable in traffic, and has plenty of power.
Attachments
DSC03509.JPG
DSC03509.JPG (167.45 KiB) Viewed 13051 times
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

A successful destination in spite of the trip is always a good thing. Thanks for posting up your issues and solutions.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BadgedBowtie

Post by BadgedBowtie »

jackleg wrote:Well, I have about 800 miles on it and it's mostly all sorted out. The transmission had some issues shifting from 2-3. I did not go with BlackBear for the tune as they diddn't seem to support HPTuners- I went with another individual who I basically gave up on due to waiting weeks for updates. I contacted Phil at Tampatuning and he figured it out overnight- I emailed the current tune and found a fixed tune in my inbox the next morning. Too bad for me, I didn't find them in the first place- oh well, live and learn..
Been averaging 18-24 MPG, is quite drivable in traffic, and has plenty of power.

NICE... hows the 'little lunati' ? Any horsepower numbers on your build or did you have it dyno'd or just stay with re-tuning and call it good? I will be doing an AFM delete probably in the fall as I have had more than enough of this chittery- pecking aggravating system..

Thank again for your write up.. nice Caprice too..
LEGATUM VICECOMITEM
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

I like it a lot. I diddn't drive it much before tearing down the engine so I can't really compare a before and after. I can say that I ride around in comfort with the A/C on in stop and go traffic and on the open road it blasts through the gears. Part throttle is good- the first tune had the part throttle shift speeds set higher and I diddn't like that as it felt like it was winding out higher than it needed to w/ light throttle- like a 4 cylinder that needs the RPMs. I had it set back to stock Part throttle speeds- its got plenty of torque to just keep on going after the shift. I've been running it around a little harder now that there's some miles on it. The MPG is 18-19 (both by the trip computer and keeping track of miles between fill ups) the 24 avg is possible, but not much fun to drive like that.
I'm running the email tune. I'm in a rural area and don't know who does dyno tunes around here. That's something I'd like to do some day. Later this week I'll post some video.
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Went to test and tune at Martin.
Best was 13.14 @ 109.17.
Filled up the tank w/ Shell 93 octane the night before, stock wheel w/ Primewell Valera Ultra Sport all seasons (came with the car)
3rd gear @ 6200 at finish line.
Am thinking about a rear diff swap this winter. That would get into 4th -
Getting up to speed earlier on the track seems to be better. We'll see, happy with it for now as it's primary use is work and back/ dad's taxi
A friend took pics and video. I'll have to wait to get it.
Attachments
KIMG0040.JPG
KIMG0040.JPG (94.26 KiB) Viewed 12813 times
KIMG0041.JPG
KIMG0041.JPG (104.93 KiB) Viewed 12813 times
KIMG0042.JPG
KIMG0042.JPG (92.92 KiB) Viewed 12813 times
KIMG0043.JPG
KIMG0043.JPG (106.28 KiB) Viewed 12813 times
2011 9C1 6.0