DOD Delete | How much $ did it run you?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Holden_buff

Re: DOD Delete | How much $ did it run you?

Post by Holden_buff »

I've requested estimates from two local Utah shops. So far, only one has replied with an estimate.
Attachments
Estimate.JPG
Estimate.JPG (77.5 KiB) Viewed 14198 times
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

Seeing all these estimates makes me really glad I talked this job myself. I would still be with the DoD cam, had I not jumped on it. Saved myself a solid $2,000
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

lsxJERRY wrote:Speed has the car put back together, had to put 2 o2 sensors and an oil dipstick on to the cost. Dyno Tune tomorrow.
The dipsticks are such a piece of junk. Mine is this twisted spiral thing that's more like a spring than a dipstick- definitely a 2 handed operation.
Ill be watching for the results from this too..
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

On the Dyno!

Due to Labor Day weekend they will pick-up on the car when they get back Tuesday and that's when I possibly pick it up.
Raunchtastic wrote:Seeing all these estimates makes me really glad I talked this job myself. I would still be with the DoD cam, had I not jumped on it. Saved myself a solid $2,000
With the right resources I would've done this myself, but just had to do it this way. I trust a shop to do it more anyway especially since Speed Inc. works on lots of LS/LT engine cars.
Holden_buff wrote:I've requested estimates from two local Utah shops. So far, only one has replied with an estimate.
I would suggest taking your Caprice to a very well known speed shop, I live in the Chicagoland area so options are abundant. I have to travel though 1hr away to the shop i'm taking my car too because i trust them more.
jackleg wrote:The dipsticks are such a piece of junk. Mine is this twisted spiral thing that's more like a spring than a dipstick- definitely a 2 handed operation.
Ill be watching for the results from this too..
Yeah the dipstick sucks... don't know if they replaced it with a similar dipstick or a better one.
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

LSX Jerry, we need to get our cars together sometime. There is a weekly meet in Tinley Park by 159th and Harlem that I go to every Friday night. I'm not sure how far away from you that is, but its usually a good turnout. Mostly late-models after 8pm, but tons of classics from about 4-8
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Raunchtastic wrote:LSX Jerry, we need to get our cars together sometime. There is a weekly meet in Tinley Park by 159th and Harlem that I go to every Friday night. I'm not sure how far away from you that is, but its usually a good turnout. Mostly late-models after 8pm, but tons of classics from about 4-8
I'm not much of a car meet kinda guy, but i'll be willing to see another Caprice. PM me, I work around that area and it's a 25-30min drive.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Numbers are in...

Dyno Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsbDuJ-YoO8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

380rwhp/379rwtq on E85
368rwhp/366rwtq on 93

Exhaust Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_-7_pGid8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

That was quick! You might have spent a little more cash than some of us "do it your selfers" but it's over and done with in a short amount of time. And you can still enjoy it for a while before the snow flies. Nice job
Is the e85 a different tune?
I've been studying up on that a bit and think one of the cool things about our cars having the flex fuel option built in. I'd think the PCM would adjust to variable alcohol content with a custom tune the same way it would with the OEM tune and not need a specific e85 tune where only e85 can be run.
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

jackleg wrote:That was quick! You might have spent a little more cash than some of us "do it your selfers" but it's over and done with in a short amount of time. And you can still enjoy it for a while before the snow flies. Nice job
Is the e85 a different tune?
I've been studying up on that a bit and think one of the cool things about our cars having the flex fuel option built in. I'd think the PCM would adjust to variable alcohol content with a custom tune the same way it would with the OEM tune and not need a specific e85 tune where only e85 can be run.
Car was Flex-fuel tuned, I would have done most of the work myself but I also have a project truck taking up space at home. Also, I drive this car in the snow, I just wash it weekly or twice a week to wash the salt. Does some bada** drifts!
KKARSTEN

Post by KKARSTEN »

lsxJERRY wrote:
I frequent Crown Point and have yet to see another Caprice. I have Speed Inc. in Schaumburg, IL doing a Flex Fuel tune on my 9C1
I've seen two, i parked next to "myself" at a gas station the first day I got my car home and I seen a black one on 80/94 after work. I'm thinking that might have been you? I'll admit, my caprice doesn't make to many appearances and when it does, everyone thinks it's a silver Malibu with bad mufflers

I have thought about going the speed Inc route. The numbers look pretty good.
Kyle Karsten