DOD Delete | How much $ did it run you?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
lsxJERRY

DOD Delete | How much $ did it run you?

Post by lsxJERRY »

So I'm currently talking to 2 shops in the Chicagoland area about installing my Solo Cat-back and possibly doing a DOD delete.
I'm not gonna mention names so I'll refer to them as: SHOP A & SHOP B
SHOP A
SHOP B

SHOP B Tells me they cannot do the exhaust. But I trust them a bit more, they've been around longer and they seem to give me more for my money.
This is my first time going to a speed shop so i'm trying to make the best decision. Trying to do stuff on a deadline too doesn't help :lol:

From what I can see, SHOP B seems like the better choice.
Last edited by lsxJERRY on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raunchtastic

Re: DOD Delete | How much $ did it run you?

Post by Raunchtastic »

The $750-$1,800 is probably only covering the labor. Removing a camshaft is typically a time-consuming process. That being said, $500 for a custom-grind is probably not needed. I would just buy a tried and true cam from the likes of Livenois, Comp, etc. They seem to run from $300-450.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Raunchtastic wrote:The $750-$1,800 is probably only covering the labor. Removing a camshaft is typically a time-consuming process. That being said, $500 for a custom-grind is probably not needed. I would just buy a tried and true cam from the likes of Livenois, Comp, etc. They seem to run from $300-450.
Yeah they pretty much have to get down to the heads to do the job. I like that Shop B is just using a mild comp cam versus going custom grind. Plus don't think the oil pump was really necessary.
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I ordered the DoD delete kit from Texas Speed and the stage 1 cam. It is spec'd at 225/230 .629/.615 112lsa and I think 110icl. It is supposed to make good power borderline needing a converter, which is what I wanted. I don't have huge plans for the car other than keeping it reliable (hence the DoD delete). I know you aren't too far from me, I'm in Tinley Park, IL, like 30 minutes west of Hammond, IN. I'm working on getting it done tomorrow night and all day Sunday if I need to. Once it's done, if you want to come by and check it out you are more than welcome.
KKARSTEN

Post by KKARSTEN »

I'll be watching this thread(I live in Crownpoint). I've been looking at a few different kits (Texas speed, livernois, ect). Might be a good winter project. I'm curious about who you guys have doing your tune
Kyle Karsten
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I have been tuning it myself, although very slowly. I stole a few tunes from HP tuners website that have been uploaded by other members and have been modifying them to fit me needs
Holden_buff

Post by Holden_buff »

Thanks for posting prices. I'm just getting serious about getting a DOD done on my daily. These estimates are going to be great comparisons for me. I'll post the estimates I get as well.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

KKARSTEN wrote:I'll be watching this thread(I live in Crownpoint). I've been looking at a few different kits (Texas speed, livernois, ect). Might be a good winter project. I'm curious about who you guys have doing your tune
I frequent Crown Point and have yet to see another Caprice. I have Speed Inc. in Schaumburg, IL doing a Flex Fuel tune on my 9c1.
Holden_buff wrote:Thanks for posting prices. I'm just getting serious about getting a DOD done on my daily. These estimates are going to be great comparisons for me. I'll post the estimates I get as well.
Feel free to post estimates.

I ended up going with SHOP B

Price: $3,700

Dyno Tune Figures Coming Soon...
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I'm excited to see the numbers. I went back and looked at the cam specs, that's HUGE lift on the exhaust. I wanted to stay away from that to keep the wear on the valve train down. I wasn't even too comfortable with my .629 lift. Definitely post numbers and a dyno sheet when you can! Don't forget an idle clip!
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Speed has the car put back together, had to put 2 o2 sensors and an oil dipstick on to the cost. Dyno Tune tomorrow.