DOD/AFM issues

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: DOD/AFM issues

Post by Navy Lifer »

BIG_GREEK wrote:I also did notice that my car has a 6year 100k mile warranty, I was under the impression it only had a 5yr/50k. So im kinda on the fence on doing the delete now or just wait.
Making the change to eliminate AFM/DOD won't void the entire warranty....only a failure or problem related to the valvetrain would potentially be an issue. Dealer(s) might try to fight this, but as long as the failure isn't abuse (racing) or neglect/improper/inadequate maintenance related, a failure in a completely different area of the vehicle should still be covered. Don't let a dealer BS you.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

oh I know, I used to work for a few dealers as a tech. Believe me, I hated every second of it due to the customer being screwed constantly. If it wasn't for my current job picking me up, I would still be in the shop.

I just don't want something to happen to the motor, then be in a world of sh#t trying to prove that the "modifications" didn't affect the failure (whatever it may be).

What is the best course of action, just tune it out or cam swap it (with tune)? Don't want to spend tons of money, but don't really want to cheap out. The work I can do myself, no problem. So labor charges aren't a thing for me.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
kevink

Post by kevink »

BIG_GREEK wrote:oh I know, I used to work for a few dealers as a tech. Believe me, I hated every second of it due to the customer being screwed constantly. If it wasn't for my current job picking me up, I would still be in the shop.

I just don't want something to happen to the motor, then be in a world of sh#t trying to prove that the "modifications" didn't affect the failure (whatever it may be).

What is the best course of action, just tune it out or cam swap it (with tune)? Don't want to spend tons of money, but don't really want to cheap out. The work I can do myself, no problem. So labor charges aren't a thing for me.
Take a look at any of the DOD delete kits out there to give you an idea of what needs to be replaced. While you're in there, you might as well put a better cam in it. You'll need a tune.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

Not to mention the additional SPEED AND POWAAAA

Seriously though, totally worth it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

That's always a good thing!! ^^^

bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

Is the AFM system separate from the DOD or is it all the same?? Can you inactivate the system before you decide to remove it? I plan to remove it at some point. Thanks
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

bluethunder wrote:Is the AFM system separate from the DOD or is it all the same?? Can you inactivate the system before you decide to remove it? I plan to remove it at some point. Thanks
AFM and DOD are the same system. The system can be deactivated via programming but mechanically, everything that is subject to failure is still in the engine. I deactivated DOD as soon as I got the car but are a cam and 16 lifters away from starting the removal.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

Thanks for the info. I will plan to remove the whole system when the time comes
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

I bought a Range Technology AFM disable device.
I have the Solo axle-back exhaust and the 4-cyl drone sounded like crap.
The device plugs into the diagnostic port so you don't have to get the ECU reprogrammed.
This is especially good if your car is still under warranty or you need to get the car inspected, just unplug it before you go in.
It works as advertised and puts a warm blue glow on the floor at night. LOL
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

The only thing is that after the ECM is modified, it shows a "flash counter" in the diagnostic computer when GM checks on it. Immediately voids engine warranty when that is seen. GM added this about 10 or so years ago.