LS3 OEM camshaft works with DOD!!

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
xcidmigs

LS3 OEM camshaft works with DOD!!

Post by xcidmigs »

I'm sure there will be blow back from this but just to put it out there for anyone else who may be interested to know. Last month I swapped out my cam for a OEM LS3 camshaft and kept all the DOD hardware in place. Initially I had the tuning done with the DOD system turned off but last week it was changed and I'm happy to say that its functioning completely normal and goes in and out of 4 cyld mode without any prob. The only other parts I changed out were the valve springs which I went to the OEM LS3 spring also. And I decided to use a LS2 block style cam tensioner as the L76 one I had exploded when i was trying to remove. I did all this with the engine in the car by twisting the AC condensor up and over towards the driver's side. It definitely was a long process. I'm not sure I would do the same thing again as the clearance isn't great. My big motivating factor was having a low miles motor and not wanting to give up on the highway fuel economy. Car Definitely pulls harder now, I'm using a 6200 shift rpm. I have a stock converter and rear axle and I'm chirping on 1-2 shift like crazy.
20170407_120318.jpg
20170407_120318.jpg (916.91 KiB) Viewed 19107 times
kevink

Re: LS3 OEM camshaft works with DOD!!

Post by kevink »

I hated dealing with the condenser. The funniest part about it for me was that I had to disconnect the driver's side headlight harness and remove the round cap that you would normally remove to access the bulb so the condenser tubing would have enough room to move out of the way without bending the aluminum condenser lines. Pretty ridiculous, and it took me a day to figure that out. It doesn't look like you had that problem.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

I'd be interested in your tips/tricks, as I plan to do this mod sometime in the near future. I was thinking of an LS3 cam, or something along the lines of the Little Lunati LL cam. There were some good instructional threads on the G8 boards, but they're getting old and a lot of the pictures are missing.

I've seen a couple of guys in the G8 world running the LS3 cam with DOD. I've been DD'ing my car for almost a month now with DOD disabled in the tune, and have noticed MAYBE 1mpg less on average. For me, that extra mpg just doesn't justify the reliability concerns with the special lifters. I can't stand the sound it makes in 4cyl mode either.

One more pointed question. Would it be easier to just discharge the AC, remove the condenser, and refill the system afterwards? It seems like even with it bent out of the way, it would still be a pain to work around.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I would put in my two cents worth regarding the AC system. I did the DoD delete two weeks ago. Discharging/reclaiming the AC was considered the safer way to go. To avoid damage to lines and the condenser. But, it has been done both ways with success.

Regards,
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Just as an update in case anyone cares, I'm almost at 2000 miles post cam swap and have a mix of highway and city driving. According to the DIC I have averages of 38.9mph and 18.5 mpg during that time. I'm definately not easy on the pedal and my highway speeds are generally around 75mph. Rear axle is still stock for me and I have the car tuned with CAI and homebrew camaro exhaust into stock muffs.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Great to hear! Seeing the pic with the wooden dowels brings me back to my LS1 f-body days.

I lost track of how many times I did the cam in that car, but each time I did the twist of the AC. I didn't have the resources to capture the refrigerant and couldn't just blow it into the atmosphere. If you CAN, I would agree, that would be much less stressful. However, the AC lines at least on the f-body were crimped ends and rubber lines so they had quite a bit of give.

Also, I have never done a cam in a GTO/G8/etc. but perhaps pulling the front bumper along with rotating/removing the AC condenser would probably give LOADS of room to slide the cam in. At least it looks like you can get to the rear most valve springs a lot more easily =)

Enjoy the power!

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

This is incredibly interesting. I'm surprised the valley cover solenoids are getting enough oil considering the LS3 cam does not have the oiling groove on the third journal.

As long as the DOD lifter and lock hold up to the pounding of the extra lift from the LS3 cam, it might be a great budget build. Nice job!
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
garrett

Post by garrett »

Really interested to see hard numbers on this setup (essentially just a cam swap). If it is a worthwhile gain then it may be the route I choose to go, for now.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

what kind of "hard numbers"?? I have no dyno on anything i did on the car, its all just been remote tuning via logs and the old butt dyno. The cam is the biggest change by far at this point, the CAI or exhaust didn't do nearly as much... plus it sounds cooler ;)
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Hey guys I'm gathering a parts list for my DOD delete using a Comp Cam similar to the LS3 GM Hot Cam but cant get much info on what length push rods to use?
Any help on this greatly appreciated. ;)
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's