Exhaust, rear diff swap, DOD delete, and LSA Supercharger.

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
loopy127

Re: Exhaust, rear diff swap, DOD delete, and LSA Supercharge

Post by loopy127 »

With the radiator removed and the a/c condenser out of the way, the crank pulley came off easily and the LSA pulley went on as easily as any other. Pinning it, however, was not an easy task. Even with a straight shot at it, I easily spent 2-3 hours drilling, checking, lubricating the bit, drilling, checking, lubricating the bit, ...etc. etc. etc. And of course, torquing the crank pulley bolt was interesting. I ended up wrapping a tie down strap through the pulley and around the k member. I wrapped it around about six times and still ripped a couple of wraps before I got 140 degrees on it.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

loopy127 wrote:And of course, torquing the crank pulley bolt was interesting. I ended up wrapping a tie down strap through the pulley and around the k member. I wrapped it around about six times and still ripped a couple of wraps before I got 140 degrees on it.
LOL. Yes the big TTY bolt is a pain. After doing a few of these I don't even bother with them anymore. I just spend the time dropping the starter, installing a proper flex plate holder and use an ARP bolt. 230-235ft-lbs (can't remember actual number) and done! The price difference between the stock bolt and ARP is like $25. My sanity and old aching bones are worth it. ;)
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
loopy127

Post by loopy127 »

Good idea. I need to invest in a flex plate holder. I have a feeling this won't be the last time I torque one of these.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Gotcha, I was just looking it up, allegedly they have a crank pinning tool. Looks like it makes life a little easier.

BTW I have an LSA supercharger sitting in the shed, just trying to see if it will be worth the time/money to gather all of the parts. Plus I would need to wait a little while before warranty ends!
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
loopy127

Post by loopy127 »

Question: I am wondering about opening up my intake. Before I start messing around with more boost, I want to make sure that there are no restrictions in the intake or exhaust. I happen to have a 110 mm maf sensor and I'll most likely get some long tube headers for it. What size is the stock maf sensor and at what point does it become a restriction on a boosted application? I would really like to see 550 hp on stock pullies (maybe that's possible, maybe it's not), but I don't want to blow up my engine with a ton of boost before making sure that all the choke points are taken care of.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

boost is a measure of restriction in simple terms

run a 4 1/2" intake tube with a LS3/7 style maf , headers , then decide how you want the rest of the exhaust , the more hp you make the louder it will get

currently a good friend of mine with his 09 G8 GXP 6m , he has 1 7/8" headers into 3" with X-pipe(OBX which is a kooks copy) , drops into 2 1/2" at the diff , and 2 1/2" straight through mufflers(kooks mufflers) , with his custom cam and ported sc he is making over 725whp on 91 , and near 750 on e54 , all on a stock internals LS3

back to the first sentence , in keeping with the stock upper and lower pulley size , and freeing up the intake air flow , and the exhaust flow out of the heads , your peak boost reading will drop and you will see your tq and hp numbers increase

n/a most use a 4" intake size , and the same exhaust size mentioned above

you should be able to make some good numbers once making those changes , as well have the motor making upwards of 650whp changing the pulley(ies)
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

As s/c'd cav, said boost is just an indication of restriction. It is only really useful as a relative measure on your engine like dyno hp. Also not mentioned, for a given torque and hp rating, a lower boost level will create less heat as well. That is often an overlooked but very good reason to lower boost levels through lower restriction.

LT headers and mid pipe will definitely help. As for the intake, going to a 4" intake and LS3/LS7 card style MAF will also help but may not be needed depending on what your tuner has logged. Installing one will not hurt but remember to retune for the new sensor. Going to 4.5" won't hurt but mostly is not needed at the power levels your stock lower end will take unless you're going for one "glory" pull. The larger 4.5" diameter intake tube is only really needed when going with a 102mm or larger throttle body. In those cases (and power levels) the 4.5" intake functions to decrease intake air velocity which sometimes can force the larger throttle blade to close in an uncontrolled manner.

Don't forget your fuel injector duty cycle. If you are using stock LSA injectors and your tuner did his job correctly, you should be already near or past 70%DC at WOT. Again, talk to your tuner and review his logs of your car with you.

One last thing, you're going to reach the limits of your stock ZL1 heat exchanger soon so keep an eye on your IATs.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
loopy127

Post by loopy127 »

The UPS man came bearing gifts today.
20170802_202840.jpg
20170802_202840.jpg (319.18 KiB) Viewed 13933 times
20170802_203103.jpg
20170802_203103.jpg (299.93 KiB) Viewed 13933 times
They seem to be pretty decent quality at first sight. They are Chinese knockoffs of Camaro headers, but after reading the reviews on them, most people are pretty happy with them. I'm not sure if they'll fit a Caprice yet, but at $250, it's worth a shot even if I have to massage them a bit.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i know the G8's had fit issues with camaro headers
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Do you have a link for those headers?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419