Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
ABrandenburg
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:04 am

Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Well last week I started getting really bad lifter noise on the passenger bank of my 2011 9C1 with 106,000 miles so I started tearing the engine bay apart and yesterday I bought everything I need from BTR. I'll be sure to post a bunch of pictures when I'm done as I have been taking a ton of pictures as I go. As of right now my plan is to keep the cam pretty mild since its my daily driver that my wife also drives occasionally. Here's what I've got planned so far;

Take the heads off and have them milled 0.020 to 0.025" to bump the compression slightly.
Install Smith Brothers Bronze Bushing to replace the needing bearing trunnions.
Do the normal DOD delete with Chevy performance LS7 lifters and ARP hardware.
Install EPS truck camshaft as it gives a nice wide power curve with a decent bump in power to compliment the higher compression and most importantly mild manners. PN
EPS31826132.
BTR platinum spring kit to match the camshaft
BTR Pushrods 7.375"
Camshaft installation kit with all the gaskets, ARP hardware, LS2 dampner, new timing chain, and camshaft sprocket for 3 bolt.
ATI Harmonic balancer for the G8 no UD.

Along with that I am installing an engine pre-oiler that every time the engine is started it pre-oils the entire rocking and rotating assemblies to eliminate the dry start wear and piston slap.

Again I will post pictures and probably put together a PDF document of the adventure as this is the first V8 motor I've done this with. Everything else has been smaller engines or I didn't get quite this deep into the V8

kevink
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by kevink » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:59 pm

ABrandenburg wrote:Well last week I started getting really bad lifter noise on the passenger bank of my 2011 9C1 with 106,000 miles so I started tearing the engine bay apart and yesterday I bought everything I need from BTR. I'll be sure to post a bunch of pictures when I'm done as I have been taking a ton of pictures as I go. As of right now my plan is to keep the cam pretty mild since its my daily driver that my wife also drives occasionally. Here's what I've got planned so far;

Take the heads off and have them milled 0.020 to 0.025" to bump the compression slightly.
Install Smith Brothers Bronze Bushing to replace the needing bearing trunnions.
Do the normal DOD delete with Chevy performance LS7 lifters and ARP hardware.
Install EPS truck camshaft as it gives a nice wide power curve with a decent bump in power to compliment the higher compression and most importantly mild manners. PN
EPS31826132.
BTR platinum spring kit to match the camshaft
BTR Pushrods 7.375"
Camshaft installation kit with all the gaskets, ARP hardware, LS2 dampner, new timing chain, and camshaft sprocket for 3 bolt.
ATI Harmonic balancer for the G8 no UD.

Along with that I am installing an engine pre-oiler that every time the engine is started it pre-oils the entire rocking and rotating assemblies to eliminate the dry start wear and piston slap.

Again I will post pictures and probably put together a PDF document of the adventure as this is the first V8 motor I've done this with. Everything else has been smaller engines or I didn't get quite this deep into the V8
Sounds like a pretty good plan. I also milled my heads 0.025". I'm amazed that more people don't do this. I don't think the pre-oiler is necessary, and it won't do anything for piston slap. Do you actually have piston slap at startup?

ABrandenburg
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm

kevink~ yes I have pretty pronounced piston slap at start up and as soon as I get oil pressure it goes away. Even if the pre-oiler doesn't eliminate it, its cheap insurance and provides lube to all the rotating assemblies before start up. Yeah I'm surprised that more people don't mill the heads when doing the DOD delete, its fairly cheap and gets the compression back where the engine likes to be. Maybe because people still like to be able to run E85 but I don't run anything less than 91 in my muscle type cars so its kinda pointless for me.

s/c'd cav
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:12 am
Location: PHOENIX AZ

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by s/c'd cav » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

kinda funny the wrist pins and pistons are not oiled , id guess you are getting a lifter that bleeds down and clatters at start up

make sure you replace the lifter trays

kevink
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by kevink » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:45 pm

ABrandenburg wrote:kevink~ yes I have pretty pronounced piston slap at start up and as soon as I get oil pressure it goes away. Even if the pre-oiler doesn't eliminate it, its cheap insurance and provides lube to all the rotating assemblies before start up. Yeah I'm surprised that more people don't mill the heads when doing the DOD delete, its fairly cheap and gets the compression back where the engine likes to be. Maybe because people still like to be able to run E85 but I don't run anything less than 91 in my muscle type cars so its kinda pointless for me.
That doesn't sound like piston slap. Piston slap goes away as the piston warms and expands, reducing piston to wall clearance. It has nothing to do with oil pressure. It happens quickly, but not as quick as oil pressure comes up. My 4.8L truck with 170,000 on it has done it since new. It takes about 300 feet of driving to get enough heat in the piston to stop the slap. I think you have another problem.

ABrandenburg
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 pm

When I took it to a motor shop and said I thought it was the piston scuffing, they told me it was piston slap from loose tolerances... whichever it is I probably won't get rid of it, but the pre oiler isn't going to hurt anything either. I'm definitely replacing all of the top end components, I just didn't list the lifer trays separately.

xcidmigs
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:12 am
Location: SE PA

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by xcidmigs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 pm

thats a nice cam, they do suggest using a slightly higher TC with that on a 6.0 in a truck application, doesn't sound like you are doing that now, wonder what it will launch like? Can I suggest an oil catch can since you are into 1) performance 2) PM/peace of mind. I'm amazed what mine poops out.

ABrandenburg
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:48 pm

xcidmigs wrote:thats a nice cam, they do suggest using a slightly higher TC with that on a 6.0 in a truck application, doesn't sound like you are doing that now, wonder what it will launch like? Can I suggest an oil catch can since you are into 1) performance 2) PM/peace of mind. I'm amazed what mine poops out.

I had looked at one but wasn't really sure what the purpose was? Where is the oil getting into that it's cause problems?

CrashTestDummy
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 pm
Location: Pearland, Texas

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by CrashTestDummy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

You'll only really need one if you get oil ingestion into the intake tract. Not all cars get it, and you can always add that later if you see a fair amount of oil behind the throttle plate.

What pre-oiler are you using? Accusump?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1996 BBB Impala SS (11-second DD)
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?

ABrandenburg
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 pm

CrashTestDummy wrote:You'll only really need one if you get oil ingestion into the intake tract. Not all cars get it, and you can always add that later if you see a fair amount of oil behind the throttle plate.

What pre-oiler are you using? Accusump?

Autoenginelube.co, its a smaller shop that my dad and I have used in the past buying kits for farm equipment and vehicles and we were always pretty happy with the results. I haven't bought or used one in years though so I'm hooping that the quality has remained the same.

Post Reply