Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks for the link.
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
RoadComic

Re: DOD Delete + LS9 Cam

Post by RoadComic »

Have you dynoed it with the cam change? I'm curious how much power it made.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

RoadComic wrote:Have you dynoed it with the cam change? I'm curious how much power it made.
RoadComic,
No I have not since I'm still running a very conservative spark advance in the midrange in my tune. I'm just running the LS9 cam naturally aspirated until Christmas break when I'll be installing an LSA blower. However compared to the stock cam, the LS9 cam definitely makes more butt dyno power at the top end.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Silversled wrote:
Melling 10295 oil pump
Sled, not to rain on your parade but doing my research as a future cam swapper, you might have traded your stock DOD pump for one with less pressure. For non-AFM vehicles, that pump offers a 10% pressure increase. (I installed this one in my 4.8L Silverado).

Melling 10296 offers a 18% increase.

Melling 10355 offers a 33% increase in pressure and is made for vehicles with DOD. Whilst it might be mechanically disabled and tuned out of your car, you might have downgraded from your stock pump.

I think I would personally use 10355, even if DOD is disabled. Or at least 10296. When I called Melling he said to use 10355 even if I was going to DOD delete and cam.

Now, I understand volumetric flow and higher pressure are a bit different but I thought I would share my 2 cents. Just some food for thought.
Attachments
mellingFlowChart_1_ml.png
mellingFlowChart_1_ml.png (116.75 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
melling pump info.jpg
melling pump info.jpg (113.06 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
melling pumps.jpg
melling pumps.jpg (151.17 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Fudgehog wrote:
Silversled wrote:
Melling 10295 oil pump
Sled, not to rain on your parade but doing my research as a future cam swapper, you might have traded your stock DOD pump for one with less pressure. For non-AFM vehicles, that pump offers a 10% pressure increase. (I installed this one in my 4.8L Silverado).

Melling 10296 offers a 18% increase.

Melling 10355 offers a 33% increase in pressure and is made for vehicles with DOD. Whilst it might be mechanically disabled and tuned out of your car, you might have downgraded from your stock pump.

I think I would personally use 10355, even if DOD is disabled. Or at least 10296. When I called Melling he said to use 10355 even if I was going to DOD delete and cam.

Now, I understand volumetric flow and higher pressure are a bit different but I thought I would share my 2 cents. Just some food for thought.
Fudgehog,

No parade rained on here. In this case, more more more ...more....more.. for the sake, well "more" is not always better or useful. The stock pressure pump on the ZL1 Camaro serves its purpose quite well and is common to most LS based GMC/Chevy trucks, Chevy SS, etc. which do not have DOD. As well, the LSA engine in the ZL1 and CTS-V have the addition of piston oil squirters and these engines make due with stock pump pressures and volumes. The goal is not to go higher than what you have. The objective is always to select the pump that is correct for the application. My application is a stock LS2 bottom end with stock main bearing clearances running stock oiling circuit being bumped with a mild OEM cam and using stock viscosity oil. You can certainly run the pumps you suggested but there is simply no benefit to going higher volume or much higher pressures. If you choose to use other pumps, I'm more than sure your engine will run just fine as well. I've beaten the snot out of my motor since the cam and it is doing just fine to be honest.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i