Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
ABrandenburg

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg »

To everybody who has done a Can upgrade, did you have to modify or go to taller valve covers. I’m getting close to being done and wanted to know if I need to do anything else before I finish buttoning things up.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Um, ‘Can’?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I think he means "cam" :D
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Nope all fits under stock, are you doing the rocker bearing upgrade?
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

Whoops, yes I meant “Cam” stupid auto correct. Yes, I did the Smith Bros bronze bushing kit and really liked the feel of them after I put them together, I’m looking forward to starting the engine up and hearing it run. Thanks for the help guys
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

ABrandenburg-I would be interested in that PDF when you get done.

My tuner is telling me I can get away with a "tuning only" DOD delete but the wear on your cam is what has me nervous.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm. I would think that with DOD disabled, wear would be ..... normal across all lifters and cam lobes. What was I thinking? :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

I was referring to wear on the cam prior to tuning out the DOD. :D

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Hmm. I would think that with DOD disabled, wear would be ..... normal across all lifters and cam lobes. What was I thinking? :lol:

Even with DOD disabled you still are going to see increased wear on the cylinders with those lifters simply because of their increased mass.

Well I started the car yesterday and immediately the computer freaked out... It basically shut down the DOD cylinder injectors and coil packs so that made the car run like serious crap. I dropped the car off at the tuner's this morning and just picked up the car this evening. I'm very happy with the car now, it has a little bit of lope and surge at a stoplight but cruises very nicely and pulls incredibly hard all through the torque curve. Cruising at 50-60 mph and stomping on the gas results in a very nice pull of the butt to the back of the car. The only area I see the car could use some improvement is from a stop and with the current rear end gearing and stock converter I don't see that getting any better. I'll post some more pictures once I get them pulled off my phone.

The reason for the Smith Brothers trunnion upgrade, the cups that sit around the needle bearings can shift very easily and all of these little suckers spell death for an engine.

I painted the valve covers before putting them back on the car. It gives the engine bay a much nicer finished look and looks alot better than the bare aluminum.

I'll grab some pictures tomorrow of the finished look at the engine bay when I put the splash shield back on, I kinda got lazy about taking pictures as I was putting things back together.