Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
ABrandenburg

Re: Yesterday was an expensive day... DOD Delete adventure

Post by ABrandenburg »

Engine before teardown with 106,000 miles on it.

Alien hardware valley cover.

Evidence that someone has been up this ladies skirt before me!!!!!

and the nasty villain that started this adventure, funny thing is that its one of the normal lifters and not an AFM one.
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

I took a ton more pictures but didn't want to go too crazy. I do plan on doing a write up document once I'm done and if someone needs it I can send a PDF to them.

I see what you guys were talking about with the catch can, my intake didn't have oil pooled in it but had an even coating of oil all through it,but the intake runners on the heads were horrible.They were caked with an oil and carbon sludge that has been fun to get off. Morepics to come as I continue!!!
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Good luck. Your plan looks pretty solid. I didn't mill my heads since I'm boosting. I inspected them on a granite plate at work and they were flat.

I completed my DOD/CAM a couple of thousand miles ago and couldn't be happier. I'm sure you will have similar results.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

There is no LS motor made that isn't suffering from oil in the intake to some degree, the trucks seem worse to me for whatever reason perhaps its just the higher miles or higher load? Regardless of cause they are sold for $100 install in a few minutes and if you are doing all this work why not just add it in is beyond me I've yet to see any reason why not to use it.
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

So I've been busy as all get out but spent some time working on the car this weekend. Got the camshaft out and it had some serious wear to the lobe that had the bad lifter.

I got the new camshaft installed and started to replace associated parts but ran out of light before I got too far. I did have a question for someone to look and see if you guys can help me out. The sensor that is on the driver's side head basically fell apart in my hand when I pulled the head off, I got a new plug along with leads but they aren't colored to match the original harness. Can someone look at theirs and tell me which colored wire goes to the back side of the plug?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

That's the coolant temperature sensor. It works with variable resistance as the temperature changes. It doesn't matter which what the wires go.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

Mooseman wrote:That's the coolant temperature sensor. It works with variable resistance as the temperature changes. It doesn't matter which what the wires go.

Cool, thanks.
ABrandenburg

Post by ABrandenburg »

Quick question for you guys, when you put your intake manifold back on did you replace the gaskets? Mine look like they've seen better days and I don't want to have to pull it back off.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

ABrandenburg wrote:Quick question for you guys, when you put your intake manifold back on did you replace the gaskets? Mine look like they've seen better days and I don't want to have to pull it back off.
if you are questioning them , then good idea to replace them cheap insurance
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

They do and can fail. Replace them.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419