DOD delete, converter, etc.... pull motor ?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Maxspeed96ct

DOD delete, converter, etc.... pull motor ?

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

I plan on doing a dod delete and cam this winter. And possibly a converter too.

Now ive done heads cam swaps before on many ls trucks and fbody cars. So I know my way around the LS

But reading about the l77, you have to pull the pan to plug the dod relief.
Which really adds a lot of work.

Eventually id also like a upgraded converter.

Im almost just considering just pulling the motor and leaving the transmission in the car ?

The extra time time for pulling the motor seems like it would equal out the time id spend getting the oil pan out, plus id be able to work on the engine on a stand and really torque everything down easily.

It would also be really easy to do the converter at this time too.

what do you guys think ?
xcidmigs

Re: DOD delete, converter, etc.... pull motor ?

Post by xcidmigs »

It was a real bastard doing the cam with engine in the car, I didn't have to remove oil pan on mine but I can imagine.
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

I'm looking to do the same thing. Along those lines, can the engine come out from the top or do you need to drop it out of the bottom?

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

If you need to change the torque converter then yanking the block would be easier since you need to strip the engine to the short block anyways.

Removing the oil pan is actually easy though. Zip off the two nuts common to the lower engine mounts and jack the engine up almost 2" from the oil pan using a piece of 2x4 wood under the pan. Slide wood blocks between the engine mount and frame and lower the engine onto them. Remove 4 to 5 bolts holding the oil cooler on the pan and drop the pan after removing the pan bolts. I did this in about 30 minutes.

Also, replacing the oil pump with the regular oil pressure pump you will not need to plug the oil pressure bypass valve in the pan since your oil pressures will not exceed the bypass valve pressure. I did remove my oil pan to replace the oil pickup and to facilitate centering the oil pump but did not replace the bypass valve in the pan.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I would stay with the DOD oil pump, which is both high pressure and volume. When I did it on my 06 Saab 9-7x 5.3 (aka: TrailBlazer), I replaced it with a regular pump and lost some pressure to the point where I get a CEL for low pressure when the oil starts to get at about 50% life left.

There's another thread about this here somewhere.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

Ended up leaving the converter and just did the heads.

overall wasn't bad to do the heads in the car. I used arp bolts not studs for the heads.

The LSA oil pump I used is actually the same part number as the OEM caprice pump, I just wanted a new pump at 90k.

I also go the LSA chain .

I also plugged the relief in the pan, and during that I realized my engine mounts where shot.
jeaton48

Post by jeaton48 »

Maxspeed96ct wrote:Ended up leaving the converter and just did the heads.

overall wasn't bad to do the heads in the car. I used arp bolts not studs for the heads.

The LSA oil pump I used is actually the same part number as the OEM caprice pump, I just wanted a new pump at 90k.

I also plugged the relief in the pan, and during that I realized my engine mounts where shot.
I'm working on a dod delete right now and trying to figure out what oil pump to use and if I need to plug that pressure relief in the pan. I currently have the new melling stock replacement oil pump for the caprice. How is yours running with that pump and plugging that relief?
Joe E

2012 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 4.8 (The wife's car)
1948 Chevrolet 2dr Sedan 261 I6 bored .060 over, dual Rochesters, Fenton Headers, performance cam
1954 GMC 5 Window (Next project)
1966 Chevrolet Suburban (Next Project)
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

jeaton48 wrote:
Maxspeed96ct wrote:Ended up leaving the converter and just did the heads.

I'm working on a dod delete right now and trying to figure out what oil pump to use and if I need to plug that pressure relief in the pan. I currently have the new melling stock replacement oil pump for the caprice. How is yours running with that pump and plugging that relief?

Great, about 3k miles on it now.

some get away with not plugging the relief, but its such a stupid part that could fail I think you'd be crazy to leave it in considering removing the oil pan is not difficult, and you need to remove it anyways if your changing the oil pump.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

This is new to me, plugging the oil relief hole?
Does melling mention this when installing their pumps?
And another motor builder mentioned something about shiming the new pump out? What the heck does that do? This is all new to me, I'm used to SB and BBC motors "ol skool" but eager to learn.
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
Oldblue68chevy

Post by Oldblue68chevy »

Melling actually has a video of how to shim the pump. This is done to center the pump housing on the crank snout. It prevents premature wear. Oddly enough in the melling video they state thats taking the pump apart voids the warranty but you should do it anyway lol. Its easy to do just need some feeler gauges around .002" to .004" typically 3 of each.

The stock pump doesnt seem to need shimmed I assume due to looser tolerances. Dont quote me on that one.
2011 PPV 9C3