So I think I have decided on a cam.. Need opinions...

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Dut_The_SS_nuT

So I think I have decided on a cam.. Need opinions...

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

OK, so I think I am going to go with the stock LS3 cam, Ls3 blue beehive valve springs, etc. and LS7 lifters and trays I think I am going to retain the stock valley cover/PCV setup, with the rivet kit to block off the ports. I've read a couple of horror stories about the single bolt. But from what it sounds like, either the bolt got reused or something happened during the torquing process. I mean how many stock single bolt GM cams are out running around with 200k on them? I highly doubt that it ever sees the track, I just want a little bump in power, long term valve train reliability, and driveability without the worry of DOD lifters. Tuning is minimal, I haven't, on the other hand decided on rocker arms and push rods... Will stock hold up to the ls3 cam? I want opinions, especially from those who have done the dod delete... Built a few gen 2 SBC'S but never an LS based motor.
2007 Impala SS, K&N CAI, Flowmasters, Resonator Delete, Diablo Trinity tune
2011 Caprice 9C1 (rest in pieces)
2013 Caprice 9C1, "9C3 console upgrade" Modified Camaro Exhaust, Kayhan VE Series 2 Radio. (Soon to have 4 piston Brembos)
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
1956 Chevy 150 1211B trim code “Business Man Sedan" (currently gutting)
Dut_The_SS_nuT

Re: So I think I have decided on a cam.. Need opinions...

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

P. S. car has 5600 hrs of IDLE time.... 116k
2013 Caprice 9C1, "9C3 console upgrade" Modified Camaro Exhaust, Kayhan VE Series 2 Radio. (Soon to have 4 piston Brembos)
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I resused the stock rockers and pushrods on my LS3 cam swap zero problems, I'd say at the miles you have buy a rocker bearing upgrade kit and you are done for another 100k
Dut_The_SS_nuT

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

What part number lifters did you use?
I've been reading on the g8 forums.. There is a lot of questionable info over there? How many miles are you into it? Regrets?
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I reused all stock lifters on my swap bc I am still using the DOD system, my car has only 24k and i have prob 4k on the swap now, zero problems or regrets. If i had a 100k miles xpatrol car I would have not done this but didn't see the need otherwise.
Dut_The_SS_nuT

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

It's nuts that your DOD functions flawlessly, I was reading on another thread. So you have the actual LS3 cam and not an L99 cam? I really considered replacing all the lifters with stock and running the L99 cam.. I just don't want to have to worry about it.. I plan on the comp cams captured roller trunion upgrade, just like EVERYTHING else to do with the DOD delete, everyone is an expert. Some say comp cams upgrade stuff is great some say it's crap. Just like others have had DOD problems and think is crap, and some have not and think it's great. I ordered a gm performance parts cam install pack for an Ls3 comes with everything except head gaskets exhaust Gaskets, or bolts. , rivets and tool, springs, retainers, keepers, etc, and have decided if the pushrods are just going to have to be measured for final decision. But I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with the results. I read on G8 guys deal, and he claims 390whp with the ls3 cam Cai and exhaust. Most of what he used is what I ordered. I've got a couple of weeks before I can order the rest. I'm thinking I just as well do the oil pump, tensioner and chain while I've got it apart.
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Yes i have a OEM LS3 cam, other mods are just a OTR CAI and camaro SS stock cats and then a frankenstein combo of the Camaro exhaust tied into the PPV mufflers... sounds better than stock and still is quiet in 4 cyld mode. My tuner didn't understand what i was doing either and initially had shut off the DOD system, when i freaked out it was a simple email back to me to turn it on and now i have just like you have read about 400HP which still gets 22mpg cruising 70mph all day. Again not sure i would do the same on a 100k miles unknown motor. I would definately do all the other stuff you mentioned already, perhaps you are after more performance than this, but to me its just crazy enough that I am happy and I get zero comments from wife kids etc about whats up with this car when I feel the need to floor it and and pass some tard in the left lane who is goin 50......
Dut_The_SS_nuT

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

Ppv exhaust manifolds too, or did you spring for headers?
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

PPV manifolds are the same on any car LS based platform, the part number interchanges even to a LSA motor I believe? They all have the same 2 1/4" ID for the exit where the vehicle specific cat pipe bolts onto, the PPV and G8 have the worst of those with the strange flex pipe neck down to 1 7/8" I believe... Camaro SS M6 cat pipes match up at 2 1/4" and are semi worthless on clist etc. Hard to see the justification in $600 solo or other brand "hi flow" cats. There are replacement shorty headers out there also some look very nice ceramic coated etc, I would think you get a slight bonus on them although it may be at the cost of noise and exhaust leaks later down the road.
kevink

Post by kevink »

Dut_The_SS_nuT wrote:I plan on the comp cams captured roller trunion upgrade, just like EVERYTHING else to do with the DOD delete, everyone is an expert. Some say comp cams upgrade stuff is great some say it's crap
The Comp trunnion "upgrade" is most definitely crap. It is very well documented and the info is easy to find.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.