Book time on V8 motor swap ? anyone done it?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
CHEVEN

Book time on V8 motor swap ? anyone done it?

Post by CHEVEN »

Anyone know the book time on V8 motor swap ? anyone actually done it ?
fuzzkill

Re: Book time on V8 motor swap ? anyone done it?

Post by fuzzkill »

G8 is 12.9 complete or 14.7 w/ transfer of parts. PPV should be the same but my shop data is out of date.

Could do it faster, but probably about right if you are taking your time or are not using a lift. Supposed to come out the bottom but you can take it out the top as well from what I have heard.
CHEVEN

Post by CHEVEN »

out the top was out of the question ! maybe with intake off and such so i went low !! front header assembly is easy peasy ....after that supported the car and dropped the cradle to point that I could get enough clearance to elevate the motor/trans to go up and over the mess. Items of stress ..the motor mount studs are REAL LONG ....even wrestling them out didn't do much since oil cooler is in the way. I'm not getting paid book time, good thing I'd go hungry but sure would like to see one come out the top without destroying everything. Car is a 30K Tx car so its like new, I can't imagine what a rusty Ohio caprice would be like to work on ....
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Yeah I didn't track my time when I switched mine, and it really wouldn't be applicable if I did considering everything else I did at the same time
jeaton48

Post by jeaton48 »

I know this was an older post and question, but I just recently joined. I am in the process of doing DOD delete and engine rebuild on my 2012. NAPA labor guide called for 17hours in and out, including swapping parts. I ended up taking mine out the top and only took about 8hours. Would have taken less if I didn't fight some rusty fasteners and a stuck dipstick tube. Another pain point is the harnesses clipped to the back of the heads. If you take the wiper arms off that whole black cowling comes off with some clips giving tons of room. It even gives you wide open access to the trans bell housing bolts. Also I unbolted the motor mounts on the engine side as the studs were shorter, so I didn't have to lift as much to clear. I was able to unbolt the AC pump and just leave it laying there on the frame without disconnecting the hoses. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Not as bad as the 03 GMC 1500 5.3 I swapped recently.
Joe E

2012 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 4.8 (The wife's car)
1948 Chevrolet 2dr Sedan 261 I6 bored .060 over, dual Rochesters, Fenton Headers, performance cam
1954 GMC 5 Window (Next project)
1966 Chevrolet Suburban (Next Project)