DoD Delete question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
mftrnr

DoD Delete question

Post by mftrnr »

Hello! I was searching around and couldn't find this answer specific so I apologize if its been discussed before.

Im about to order the parts for the DOD delete (Planning on a kit through Texas Speed or BTR) and if the parts are swapped will it drive fine before the tune is done? Will it just throw check engine light with the parts swapped prior to tuning the DoD out? I obviously plan on doing it but was curious about this.

Thanks.
2011 9C1, mostly stock, 109k miles... black
Silversled

Re: DoD Delete question

Post by Silversled »

Yes it will throw a code for DOD failure. As to whether you can run it without a tune will mostly depend on what cam you are using. Generally it's a bad idea to change a cam without a tune as it fundamentally changes the way your engine breaths and hence its fueling requirements along with it. Just going from my DOD cam to an LS9 cam, some point of my fueling were pegging the fuel trim limits. Also, the engine idle quality really sucked.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

Thanks for the info, I think what it would really boil down to is if I can swap it at home and drive it somewhere to get tuned. After your answer and some more googling I feel like I could make the drive to a nearby shop with minimal problems. I'd probably be going with BTR Stage 1 cam, it seems to be a modest upgrade for a daily driver car.

If anybody disagrees please let me know!
2011 9C1, mostly stock, 109k miles... black
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

When I did a 110LSA cam on my f-body, I had no tune. It surged a little, and I had to save it from dying a few times, but besides that no issue. I drove it around town like a grandpa to break it in and run the assembly lube through and out. Gingerly drove it down to get tuned about 60 miles away about a week later, with no issue. It was driveable but I did absolutely nothing beyond 50% throttle. Generally it was early morning/late night trips where I wouldn't be subject to traffic or having to hurry onto a merge. IMO (and I make no guarantee beyond what my experience was) you would be fine if you could maintain some self control. That being said, I sent my Caprice to a shop this time around :lol: No space + No real time = this is what was in order this time around. Others may disagree but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Good luck.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...