DOD Delete Newb Question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
AlicePA79

DOD Delete Newb Question

Post by AlicePA79 »

i been trying to find out information on doing a DOD Delete on a 2011-13 Model. i done lot looking on the forum but it seams most doing a DOD Delete are doing it along side other upgrades. i cant afford a lot upgrades but know how serious the DOD problem is and i don't want to ruin a engine. so are there kits online i can buy online somewhere??? how would i get the computer flashed so it doesn't think there is a problem with the DOD?

Thanks in Advance:
Alice
xcidmigs

Re: DOD Delete Newb Question

Post by xcidmigs »

Cheapest thing is the $200 plug in unit that goes onto the OBD2 port and literally just does that, shuts off the DOD, no CEL, nothing wrong with running that if that is your only goal ever. If you are going to do some other types of modifications that will require a retune of the PCM/TCM at some point in the future then you might as well spend the money now on a tune of some type. Even a 100% stock car will "drive" better than it did before and you will enjoy the increased power and maybe even MPG a tune can unlock along with the DOD being turned off. Pricing is generally the lowest on a emailed version depending on how you are able to deal with the reflash yourself, google search a bit just for anyone doing LSX email tunes and you will see whats avail. A local performance place will also tune it for you but I have found that the email tunes are just as good and most good places that do it will sell you a retuning package for a specific car that you can go back to the later on to make other changes.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Note that just disabling DOD via a OBDII plugin device or software update-only still retains the DOD equipment, so the issues that cause DOD failure still exist in the car. While it may help mitigate the issue some, the parts are still there, and subject to fail.

There are online vendors who offer up kits. I've heard good things from Texas Speed. Their techs are pretty knowledgeable and can assist with selecting the right components for what you want to end up with. There are others out there, though, so it may be good to do some homework. You can review the G8 forums to see who is good and who to avoid, as well as the SS forums. LS1 Tech forum might have some notes too.

If you don't have the skillset/tools, you'll probably want to find a shop that can do the work local to you, since the project is pretty involved (top end has to come off the engine, and some say it's easier to drop the engine out to do this work). That shop should also be able to handle the PCM reflash. If not, there are mail-order companies that can do the reflash, but with the later PCMs, you're usually doing the reflash yourself with some software and a laptop with an OBD cable, installing the update you receive via email from the companies that do that sort of work.

Texas Speed DOD delete kit: https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7379-dod- ... lete%20kit

G8 Forum: http://www.g8board.com/forums/index.php

Another G8 Forum: http://forum.grrrr8.net/

SS Forum: http://www.ssforums.com/forum/

LS1 Tech forum: https://ls1tech.com/forums/

I'd create an account and start with a search for something like 'dod delete kit' and see what happens. Good luck.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
AlicePA79

Post by AlicePA79 »

Thanks for the information, even trying to research it in between dealing with finding funding to fix are water heater falling through the floor and getting water back on sows hAve bathroom use again. Running to gas station last couple days have sucked.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Ewww, I bet!

Good luck on the water heater R&R!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

If you want to turn off the DOD yourself at no cost until you can have it done properly via a tune and cam/lifter swap is to unplug the vacuum sensor on the brake booster. You will get a CEL and message on your DIC each time you start it but this will prevent DOD from working. Most failures are when it's in 4 cylinder mode and it fails to re-activate a lifter. This would prevent that.

Others are actually the failure of a lifter and destruction of the camshaft on engines with a high number of idling hours.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
AlicePA79

Post by AlicePA79 »

what i'm kind of disappointed in is i called the best Chevy Dealer in my area about DOD question and they had no idea what i was talking about. the deal in corvette upgrades swaps n everything yet never heard of the PPV Caprice. took 45 minutes on the phone with 4 people before the head mechanic there told me about the Range Technology device u plug in to the OBDii port that bypasses the DOD system electronically. he says 98% of his techs use it. he didn't understand why id do a top end rebuild on it. he didn't seam to understand even if the car is low millage it most likely high idle hours and parts are worn to the point it can grenade anytime. so i gave up there

but i'm trying to figure out which LS is the closest equivalent to the L77. i'm thinking of finding equivalent Edelbrock ls parts so its a nice upgrade to a normal DOD delete kit. like id buy the parts individually and have a local performance shop a couple city's away install them. weird a big city like Tulsa Oklahoma and i have to go to Catoosa, Oklahoma to get a speed shop to talk to me about it.

the mechanic i used before on my moms car his company imposed new rules. other then exhaust they have to use OEM or equivalent and they have to buy the parts. before i could bring in parts and they could put them in but not anymore it seams

Alice
Last edited by AlicePA79 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlicePA79

Post by AlicePA79 »

sorry for the second post but forgot to ask a question and cant get post edit to work. what is the Closest Equivalent LS to the Stock L77???

Thanks in Advance
Alice
AlicePA79

Post by AlicePA79 »

AlicePA79 wrote:sorry for the second post but forgot to ask a question and cant get post edit to work. what is the Closest Equivalent LS to the Stock L77???

Thanks in Advance
Alice
Errr Never Mind, just found the following info on GM Authority website.
The L77 is an engine produced by General Motors for full-size vehicles. Displacing 6.0 liters in a V8 configuration, the L77 is part of the fourth-generation Small Block engine family and, for all intents and purposes, is the 6.0-liter Vortec L96 engine used in GM’s GMT900-based trucks and SUVs. It has been rumored that GM elected to use the L77 (over the LS3/L99) in the Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Police Package Vehicle) due to its Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) technology as well as its ability to run on E85 ethanol fuel.
Thanks in Advance
Alice
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

I think you'll find this forum page very useful...

https://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.p ... r-camshaft

HpTuners will deactivate DOD with one toggle.

The issue is that you really should replace the DOD which makes tuning for the cam a necessity.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i