SAD DAY! Hydrolock on fuel = One broken rod (at least)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
BigMike0147

Re: SAD DAY! Hydrolock on fuel = One broken rod (at least)

Post by BigMike0147 »

ABrandenburg wrote:What did you do with your old block? I'd be curious to know if it could be Darton Sleeved to repair the damage to the bottom of the cylinder wall. I've been toying with the idea of building a modern Oldsmobile 403 which came in my '79 Trans Am with a Darton sleeved LS motor, so many people knock the Olds 403, but with a few mods the thing was a torque monster, just bad about overheating and blowing head gaskets if you weren't careful with startup and shutdown shenanigans.

I was thinking if a bad motor like this could be sleeved and bore it to max of 4.2 with a 3.6 stroke, you will have one hell of a fast revving motor with killer torque from idle to top end. An added bonus would be the short stroke distance puts low strain on the cylinder walls so it should run damn near forever. Would make for a fun Bandit with a T56 or TR6060 behind the motor :)
I am holding on to the old block. I'll either do just as you said (sleeve it), or turn it into a coffee table down the line. The biggest determining factor will be when I take it to a machine shop in the future to have them assess the condition of the block. The problem I'd maybe run into (from my brief research) is that a sleeve may need the lower portion of material to rest/stop on. If mine is damaged, as it is, this may cause some issues with the ability to install sleeves. The answer won't come for some time since I'm not in a rush to get it checked out.

I definitely thought of the sleeves though, and I like where your head's at..... :twisted:
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

ABrandenburg wrote:What did you do with your old block? I'd be curious to know if it could be Darton Sleeved to repair the damage to the bottom of the cylinder wall. I've been toying with the idea of building a modern Oldsmobile 403 which came in my '79 Trans Am with a Darton sleeved LS motor, so many people knock the Olds 403, but with a few mods the thing was a torque monster, just bad about overheating and blowing head gaskets if you weren't careful with startup and shutdown shenanigans.

I was thinking if a bad motor like this could be sleeved and bore it to max of 4.2 with a 3.6 stroke, you will have one hell of a fast revving motor with killer torque from idle to top end. An added bonus would be the short stroke distance puts low strain on the cylinder walls so it should run damn near forever. Would make for a fun Bandit with a T56 or TR6060 behind the motor :)
Heh, indeed on the 403! I've been contemplating an aluminum-headed 403 for our 79 Seville but the 350 in it just keeps on running.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BigMike0147

Post by BigMike0147 »

Just to give those who care an update, the car is running again. The new motor is doing fine so far. I'm currently working to finish up some loose ends and then take the car for a full road test. The hold up currently is the rebuilt transmission. I need to get it up to temp to get a relearn completed, and I have to drive it in order to do that. So it's a bit of a "chicken and the egg" situation right now.

The blower is waiting and I want to make sure all is good with the build before I bolt it on. The only thing really missing from that equation are small parts and the fuel pump(s)/system (minus injectors, got those on it now).

So we will see how things go in the coming future. Being that I'm a full time employee, part time student, and family dad, it will certainly be a slow process.
rustybullet

Post by rustybullet »

sorry to hear and see that bud the 2012 ppv i had last owned had this happen to it fortunately it was on crank up and didnt do anything but slightly bend a rod.

hope you get this fixed boss
BigMike0147

Post by BigMike0147 »

Thanks for sharing your story as well. Fortunately I was able to get a 6.2 and decided to forge it. It's been living with an LSA blower for some time now.

I had to forego the turbo plans due to the failure, but it's been doing well since (knock on wood).