Starter dragging only when cold?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
VintageIron41

Starter dragging only when cold?

Post by VintageIron41 »

Hello and thanks for taking time to read this.

Has anyone experienced their starter dragging when the car has been setting for a while, especially when the outside temps are low?

Specifically a 2014 6.0L.

Thank you!
CrashTestDummy

Re: Starter dragging only when cold?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

No, but in case you don't know, even if you have the secondary battery on the passenger side of the trunk, the car is still trying to start off the primary battery only. You probable need to check connections, and/or get the battery load-tested.

Define 'cold'. You're location is not known by your profile.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Hello cold as in 32 degrees, am in Dayton Ohio,
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That's warm this time of year!! I've lived there!! :lol:

But yeah, frigid compared to where I live now.

Any idea how old the battery is? I'd still try to get a load test run on that battery.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm That's warm this time of year!! I've lived there!! :lol:

But yeah, frigid compared to where I live now.

Any idea how old the battery is? I'd still try to get a load test run on that battery.
Lol, yes, I will take anything north of 32 degrees, anything south of that number, to paraphrase Daffy Duck " I don't like cold it hurts me".

I haven't closely inspected or put a volt meter on the battery, though that is a good idea thank you!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed. It was there, in Fairborn, Ohio, at the ripe old age of about 8 that I decided that I'd NEVER live in a place it gets that cold on purpose. I've lived up to that promise to myself, although it can get pretty pipe-freezing cold here, too, on occasion.

A volt/ohm meter may not show you all you need to see. It will certainly let you know if you have a dead cell, but a weak battery can have a good 'surface charge', and show good voltage at rest. What you need to know is, does that voltage drop a lot when it's put under a load?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:36 pm Indeed. It was there, in Fairborn, Ohio, at the ripe old age of about 8 that I decided that I'd NEVER live in a place it gets that cold on purpose. I've lived up to that promise to myself, although it can get pretty pipe-freezing cold here, too, on occasion.

A volt/ohm meter may not show you all you need to see. It will certainly let you know if you have a dead cell, but a weak battery can have a good 'surface charge', and show good voltage at rest. What you need to know is, does that voltage drop a lot when it's put under a load?
Yes, you were smart and acted upon your thoughts. Cold and snow should never come to you, you should go to where its cold and snowy, yet here I am..

Last night I started the Caprice and it turned over slowly, decided to replace the battery based on the fact that upon inspection, it is a 30 month Interstate that is not new.

Thanks for your reply's!