Cold weather issues?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
camrat68

Cold weather issues?

Post by camrat68 »

Recently in Central WI we had two days of -26* actual temp not wind chill.

The second day my Wife told me that her '12 PPV started throwing check engine codes on start-up after work.

The codes are
P0523 engine oil pressure
P1516 throttle actuator control
P2101 throttle actuator control
P0442 evap emission system

We have an OTR-CAI intake installed and I've run into issues on my '95 with throttle blades freezing into position with a similar short intake tract. Everything seems to be working OK and it drives fine although she said it initially ran rough. I'm just wondering if it's safe to drive roughly 60 miles a day like this until I can clear the codes?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
SS396ELKY

Re: Cold weather issues?

Post by SS396ELKY »

I'm interested to see where this goes... This morning here in KS it was cold about 19 degrees and misting, my 2012 PPV popped a P0523 code... No other codes were displayed... After a quick google search I read where this could be a number of problems...
1. Faulty Switch
2. Wrong oil
3. Clogged switch filter...?
4. Bad wiring
5. Bad CPU (Not)

Where is this switch located...?
Thanks in advance...
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Located behind the intake manifold close to the driver's side edge. Unplug the connector and then a long socket to loosen (cant recall size off top of my head)

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

For #3, under the oil pressure switch, inside the port, there is a small screen filter. It can be cleaned if not damaged when pulling it out with a dental pick or can be replaced.

This video shows it very well. Cued to the actual job as he talks a lot about the why's and reasons for replacing the filter with the sensor. Use part numbers for your car (he talks about a sensor and a switch, ours is a sensor). This is on a FWD so the motor is sideways. Imagine it in your RWD. It's a tight area to work in.

https://youtu.be/3BnbLu6OtfE?t=616
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

We got the P0442 code to go away with a new purge valve. I had to have a dealer replace the oil pressure switch but even after I explicitly said to replace the screen, they put the old one back in after saying it looked good. :x Now the P0442 code came back but I'm still trying to diagnose it since I used the cheapest purge solenoid Advance had. :oops:
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Did you check the gas cap? If it's on tight, try replacing it. It's a quick, cheap and easy part to replace and is a usual culprit. After that, it could be be vent valve. If shotgunning isn't your style, then a smoke test should find the leak but that's an extra expense.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419