Smog (California Specific)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Lord Vader

Re: Smog

Post by Lord Vader »

Here is the info that I get from TIS2 on my car and the calibration info reported by HP Tuners on my car with DOD turned off. I didn't change anything in the tune except DOD. So depending on what our supreme overlords are looking for, maybe it would pass smog? The only difference I see is Engine Calibration Module Part Number 92272398.
Attachments
Tune Calibration No VIN.JPG
Tune Calibration No VIN.JPG (120.94 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
TIS2 Reported stock calibration.JPG
TIS2 Reported stock calibration.JPG (79.56 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I wonder if Jeff's smog test report has which CVN the test looks for on it?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And you know the law changed in July 2021. I thought by now all the truck guys who deleted AFM would be up in arms about all the fails. But I cannot find a single one mentioned on a message board. Wonder if it is possible that the BAR knew of all these deleted AFM cars with all thier different tunes applied to get the check engine light off and just said any engine with AFM we are going to ignore the ECU data. If so that would be sweet. Just depends on how long they plan to ignore it.

Only thing I can find is a corvette guy getting nabbed:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6 ... 1603889725
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Lord Vader wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:02 pm I wonder if Jeff's smog test report has which CVN the test looks for on it?
No they only thing they report is "Modified Software" does not give any details.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Go down and have a test done. You do not need to wait till you are due. Just tell them please run it and I do not need a certificate. $40 bucks to know for sure!! LOL
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

But yea by all accounts you should fail. The CVN is diffrent from the factory value.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Lord Vader

Re: Smog (California Specific)

Post by Lord Vader »

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1354110 ... ce&cid=5.1

Another smogged DOD delete car, although it doesn't say if the smog was done before or after the delete.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I sent him a message he said previous owner did the tune so not sure what they did. But says SMOG is current. Would not provide VIN or plate to check the smog history on it.

EDIT: Although i just checked the post of the FB user I posted earlier whos car passed. His was a 14 with 122k miles so actually maybe the same car! Just reselling it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And just another data point for the record. Some guy on the G8 board was selling his 08 GT to an out of state buyer becase he failed his smog with modified software.
( His Ad ) His history:
g8 modified software.png
g8 modified software.png (138.38 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Although his seemed to be pretty heavily modified (big cam and all) I wonder if there is a difference in the ECU files to a full tune as opposed to just a turning off of the DOD. Like are those two things in separate files and the SMOG machine is not checking the file with the DOD turn off in it?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

A friend of mine just smogged his 2014 in California with the DOD turned off in the tune. More evidence we should be ok with it turned off.