Just back from new camshaft tuning Question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Capeasy

Re: Just back from new camshaft tuning Question

Post by Capeasy »

I'm So jealous, that sounds badass! I know Texas speed says you can use the stock converter but when I ran those specs by the techs at Comp cams they really recommend at least a 2400 stall. Have you noticed any stumbling upon a hard take off from a dead stop?
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Just to follow up on that quote I got from a pretty good LS motor builder out here in CA. He doesn't really have any dissatisfied customers and some of the other shops say they can do the work but not real knowledgeable with actual motor builds and they were still around $5 grand with most but not porting the heads.
I'm so bummed the ex got the house with my garage that I would have done the work myself, and doing the work at a buddies driveway is out of the question lol. Now I'm actually considering just dropping in a LS3/ 495 hp.with the GM hot cam from Summit for about $7,500 bucks. All new parts and at least 495 ponies to boot. I'll attach the quote for the cam swap along with other mods, and he claims I'll see at least 100 more HP. Hmmmmm..... decisions decisions ??
Attachments
Quote from recommended shop.
Quote from recommended shop.
20200101_231539.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 5819 times
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Thanks Capeasy, no Sir, I have not noticed any stumbles from a standing start, and I have done several of those :) 495 ponies would be sweet! I am happy with my modest gains, in hindsight, my choice of cam increased HP more than it did torques, which is bassackwards from what puts a smile on your face, torques do. But it sounds good, and a different rear end ratio along with headers are still options.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

I'm still kicking the idea around that I may just do the cam swap myself but without all the crazy head work, what do I have to lose. I forgot to ask and am not sure about new push rods? Comp cams tech said I'll have to figure out the geometry first before they can tell me what length. WHAT! the best I could do in High school algebra was a D- lol.
Did yours come in the kit or did someone have to first figure out the "Geometry "?
Surely someone out there must have a part number.
Thanks
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Capeasy,
If the new cam has a smaller base circle than the original cam, you would need a longer pushrod. Also, you want to have the length of the push right so that the valve stem side of the rocker arm travels directly across the center of the valve stem. The tip of the rocker will actually travel back and forth across the top of the valve stem as it travels in an arc as the valve stem goes up and down. If it is to close to either edge of the top of the valve stem, it will exert a sideways pressure to the valve. Also, any cam company will suggest this "correct geometry". They are just covering their products and warrantees.

Also, I used a Brian Tooley Racing Stage 1 cam as it was "a little" milder than the TSP Stage 1. I talked with my tuner (Chris Henry) before I bought my cam to make sure he had experience with my future combination and had personally seen the results. When my car is cold, it does push against the torque converter (higher RPM at start). But, once it has warmed up, the lower RPM doesn't cause the car to push as bad.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Maurice covered it well in his first paragraph. Also, depending on lifters used, different preload ranges will be wanted, also affecting needed length. Additionally, at the end of the day, the tolerances in machining/manufacturing of these parts while tight, might vary ever so slightly from batch to batch, necessitating something beyond a one size fits all approach. If you need a PR length checker PM me. Good luck.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

I did use putty to check clearance ( between pistons and valves ) before final assembly, cranking the engine over by hand, but no changes were needed using the kit I got from Texas Speed, which included pushrods. For someone like myself, who hasn't got an encyclopedic knowledge of the L77 and all it's aftermarket parts and what is needed to make individual after market parts work together correctly, I stayed with a kit. Others with more knowledge can work beyond buying a kit.