TPS1 and TPS2 disagree...P2135...need some help getting data for baseline

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
rcodea1

TPS1 and TPS2 disagree...P2135...need some help getting data for baseline

Post by rcodea1 »

All,

Could use some help diagnosing an issue with my 14 L77 setup. I have a few variables which all seem to be working properly, but the combination isnt. At this time i can not keep up with traffic as the code and reduced power mode happen when accelerating I have correlated this to be when at about 85KPA, though that may not be relevant. A Log of this happening is attached.

If possible, could someone please log their TPS1 and TPS2 voltages and % using the pedal? attached are the values i am getting now, which i think is causing the reduced power mode and dead pedal with a P2135 code and the occasional P0222.

Basically, I am getting huge differences with the TPS1 and TSP2. Using the pedal at 0%, i am getting TSP1 ~21%/3.51V and TPS2 8%/1.45V. At WOT, that changes to TPS1 68%/1.9V and TPS2 26%/3.04V. When i manipulate the throttle by hand, they agree at 0% with TPS1 4.31V, TPS2 0.65V when closed, and WOT at TPS1 99.6%/0.57V and TPS2 at 41%/4.39V. The log is attached as is the tune i am using.

I also used the attached P2135 troubleshooting pdf which has passed all the steps, which means the TB needs to be replaced. I have two more ACDelco TBs coming in tomorrow and will use them to troubleshoot, but i am guessing that this will not solve it.

Something else i have noticed, though it may not be relevant, is that the throttle position doesnt seem to match the PIDs/signals available. I circled the ones below which i am referring to. It is supposed to be following the Absolute Throttle, but doesnt seem to correlate properly. I even get some weird noise/oscillation in the signal as well which clears up in the log.

The variables in this system though....
1. '14 L77 using a 2bar custom OS from the hptuners, which has not been tuned yet....this may be causing the huge disagree with % throttle even though the voltages are reasonable, but i have no way to confirm this. I am hoping that someone can offer up their TPS1/2 % and voltage for comparison
2. the throttle pedal is a truck part number, done because of the harness i am using. I have the original pedal and plug, but am not convinced this is the issue as it is recognizing the 0-100% throttle positions correctly.
3. the truck has not been tuned yet...though i am not aware of this being able to fix something like this
4. i have tested already with 2 different TBs, and they are within 0.02V on both extremes...so either have two bad TBs, or something else is going on.
5. I am running a dual TB setup, which is being driven by a X2D unit from TorqueRush....but i have the same data as above with the unit plugged in and not connected at all. I do not think the X2D is the issue here....it is a 'invisible piggyback' on the system and I cannot see any data differences
6. I can get a clone e38, but will have to reflash it again and use some credits, so thats a $350 non-refundable troubleshooting device...not sure i am ready to go there.

happy to provide any further information which may be relevant....at this point i feel like i am spinning my wheels trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance!

~Ryan
Charleston, SC
Attachments
Orange Peel Throttle issues.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 375 times
pedal 99%.jpg
pedal 99%.jpg (627.27 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
pedal 0%.jpg
pedal 0%.jpg (628.22 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
open.jpg
open.jpg (622.08 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
neutral.jpg
neutral.jpg (620.96 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
closed.jpg
closed.jpg (613.34 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
~Ryan
Charleston, SC
rcodea1

Re: TPS1 and TPS2 disagree...P2135...need some help getting data for baseline

Post by rcodea1 »

today a new TB arrived, tested it and it appears to give nearly identical % and V at the same perimeters. here is the log. the only difference i noted is that the min voltage for TPS1 is showing 0.61V and TPS2 at 0.57V....not enough i would think to prevent things.

again logs are attached. I am hurting here to figure this out!

Is it prudent/ok to just mark the p2135 as 'no error reported' and forget about trying to figure this out?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
new TB.zip
(839.02 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
~Ryan
Charleston, SC
Oldblue68chevy

Post by Oldblue68chevy »

Im not an expert but I believe the pedal, tac , and tb have to all match. If you have all of the components from the caprice i would hook those up and see what result you get. Especially if they all worked prior to the swap. If you arent in a huge rush i could hook up to my car and see what readings i get probably this weekend.
2011 PPV 9C3
rcodea1

Post by rcodea1 »

thanks for the assistance! I am looking for about 6 pieces of data

TPS1 %
TPS1 Volts
TPS2 %
TPS2 Volts
Acc Pedal Position 1
Acc Pedal Position 2

From that i think i can figure it out.

My worry is that the data i am seeing shows a huge difference between TPS1 % and TPS2 %....and i am not sure if this is an issue inside the ECM, or if this is normal for these cars. Im guessing its not normal, but i have no way to confirm that without getting my hands on another PPV locally.
~Ryan
Charleston, SC
rcodea1

Post by rcodea1 »

UPDATE:
so last night i changed three things and did a 'write entire':
1)started from an original file and made a copy of the working 39...all the to eliminate the chance of a corrupt cal.
2) going off the idea that the MAF fail process i was doing may not be working, i refailed all the MAF settings, so the DTC p0102 is now current, not just permanent
3) upped the 'virtual torque' tables too by 30%.

I am not sure which of the three changes worked, but tonight i was able to drive around AND stab without causing REP.

I think the MAF fail is the most likely cause of my issues, which makes since. With it not being a current code, i think the ECU was continuing to look for a MAF signal, particularly when in transition.
~Ryan
Charleston, SC