L77 common ticking/rattle?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
zerepdivad

L77 common ticking/rattle?

Post by zerepdivad »

So, I'm currently looking for a Caprice PPV with L77 engine and on the auction sites I often find them stating that they are "ticking/rattling". Because of that I stay away from them. I have also came across some that say the engine is seized.(These have only been private party, oddly enough) I'm wondering if the ticking is the common issue with the camshaft and lifters? Or is it something else?

Most of the time these are at least 8 hours from where I live so I can't exactly go see them in person. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what generally will cause that ticking in these engines and if it is safe to drive them back home about 8-12 hours while ticking. My plan would be to eventually do the DOD/AFM delete anyways, I'd just like to not have one seize up on me on the drive home.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sanford

Re: L77 common ticking/rattle?

Post by Sanford »

The ticking is probably a cam/lifter problem. I personally would not drive one very far for fear of the lifter turning in the bore and possibly wrecking the block.
I believe someone picked one up with it making a ticking noise and it turned out to be a loose spark plug.

David
zerepdivad

Re: L77 common ticking/rattle?

Post by zerepdivad »

Good to know. I wasn't sure if they'd run for a long time ticking before any real damage occurred.