Removing L77 from the top, is it possible?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
zerepdivad

Removing L77 from the top, is it possible?

Post by zerepdivad »

I've been looking at a few different Caprices and I have found a couple with engines that they say are "locked up". I'm up for replacing an engine since it would not be my first time but somehow I haven't been able to find anything concrete saying that I can pull it from the top? I don't have access to a lift so I would just be doing it in my garage with an engine hoist. Any input from someone who has done it would be appreciated.
Sanford

Re: Removing L77 from the top, is it possible?

Post by Sanford »

The first Caprice I bought was locked up from water damage to the engine. I pulled engine, minus the heads, with the trans still bolted up, from the top. Since I did not know how long it would be before I would get a donor engine or piece the damaged engine back together, I left the ac system still buckled up.
When I went back with the donor engine, I rolled the trans back under the car on a tranny jack and dropped the complete engine in from the top.
Take the plastic cowling off and it will give you plenty of room to get to the top bell housing bolts. It has been about 4 years since I pulled the engine and it seemed like there were a couple of things that I would have done differently.
The one thing I would do differently would be to discharge the ac system and install the compressor after the engine is bolted up.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I was taking mine apart for a full paint anyway so the front end was off. Engine and trans slid out the front real nice. I like that walk in frame design.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
zerepdivad

Post by zerepdivad »

Looks like I may end up buying one that needs an engine if the deal is good. (local salvage yard has an engine for $2000ish) Thanks for the info!