Headers for the L77

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
elc32955
System Manager

Headers for the L77

Post by elc32955 »

I was at the PRI show in Orlando a few months back and I was going with an agenda. I had been shopping around for exhaust for the Caprice pretty much to no avail via EMAIL and phone. None of the major companies was making anything or was willing to modify their G8 kits.

I spoke with the folks from Borla (their Tennessee customer service staff had previously blew me off over the phone) and they basically told me not enough demand, get lost (in a somewhat nice way of course since I nailed them in person on the trade show floor). They were not interested in anything Caprice. Period. After that I told myself I was going to personally hunt down Alex Borla and have a few words with him in the future, one of these days I WILL have that conversation. Heh heh.

I then wandered over to the SLP booth and the result was basically the same, not enough demand. When I started talking about their Caprice show car (which just happened to be up for sale at the same time the show was running) they sort of mumbled and changed the subject rather quickly.

However, I took some time and went over to the Kooks booth and started talking to them about exhaust/headers. I found some interest and response out of their folks. In particular I spoke at length to a gentleman named "Koolaid" in their customer service group, nice guy. Yes, Kooks is willing to make headers for the L77's in the Caprices. It will take a minimum order of twelve units, and someone letting them borrow a car for a minimum time period (pretty sure it was two weeks but I'm not 100% now). Price wasn't discussed, although I would expect that the pricing would be comparable with current market headers for other platforms. Naturally they'd have to do the full R&D before a product was released so there would be some turn-up time involved, but they are willing to play it sounds like.

Just one story they told me, they had tried previously to fit a set of G8 headers to a Caprice and had to take the product in return due to fitment issues. So... based on that it sounds like headers from L76 cars will NOT fit our cars. Anyone have first-hand experience with this or know what the specific fitment issue is on interchange?

Refreshing. Definitely refreshing. People ARE willing to play in the after-market arena with us.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
leadfart

Re: Headers for the L77

Post by leadfart »

Your Kooks source is a little off. The G8 1"7/8 headers will fit, provided you remove the oil cooler. I thought it was a good trade-off, for 600+, at the crank!
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Bob, did you get a dyno run with headers before the Maggy install?

Just curious to know what is gained in the change from stock manifolds to headers, and how much is gained by using headers instead of manifolds with boost.

Interesting that you're able to push that much power through OE mufflers.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Very interesting. This guy was a senior CS rep, I'm glad the 1 7/8" G8 headers actually do fit. Maybe the customer they had that did the return didn't want to lose the oil cooler.

Once I hit 36K I know which direction I'm going then. Do anyone else's headers fit to anyone's knowledge? :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
novadeuce

Post by novadeuce »

I have also spoke with Kooks. I will be willing to donate my car for a couple of weeks if we could get an order up for I am not willing to give up the oil cooler
Scott Walker
walker2311@att.net
2013 1LE Camaro
2011 9C3 PPV,wm rear spoiler,rear diffusor, lower chrome trim, wm rockers ss, fog lights, lower grill, chrome/black door handles, custom recessed factory grill, coil overs coming 2013 Camaro wheels in midnight silver in 20 x 8 and 20 x 9, 2014 SS exhaust tips
1952 Chevy Truck LS Conversion
1967 Chevy II Nova
1967 Chevy II Nova 1 Owner (just got her)
1964 Ford F100 (Bastardized in early 80's with chevy stuff)
1971 Datsun 510 (LS project ? Have a motor setup)
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Ha, I heard the same thing from Borla and others back in 1994 when the Impala SS came out. The smaller shops were willing to jump in and fill the void. This is how Clear Image (still in business) came to be with their wonderful Tri-Y headers and ATR (now defunct) came to be with a full 2.5" cat-back that was a work of heavy stainless-steel art. They were some of the first to fill this void. Shortly after, everyone jumped on board (Borla, SLP, etc). Though the Caprice PPV numbers are much lower than LT1-era cars, it still doesn't hurt to keep pushing.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Today I was at AutoFair at Charlotte Motor Speedway and had a nice conversation with the guys from Kooks. They are located just north of where I live in NC so I am going to take my car up there week after next and let them check it out for headers and the oil cooler clearance issue. If we can work a deal I will let them keep my car to make prototype headers for the PPV.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Very good! Now all we need to do is come up with a 12-unit order (if they still hold us to that) to get a first shipment done. I hope they take some promotional pics AND that hopefully you get a free set of headers for volunteering your car as the inspection/test mule.

Thanks for stepping up for the good of all :)

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Tom,

It's good to see Dan (Clear Image) is still in business, I had a set of his Tri-Y's on my 95 Caprice in Ceramachrome. He was always excellent to deal with and was a good supporter of the B-body community.
novadeuce

Post by novadeuce »

I'm in. 10 more
Scott Walker
walker2311@att.net
2013 1LE Camaro
2011 9C3 PPV,wm rear spoiler,rear diffusor, lower chrome trim, wm rockers ss, fog lights, lower grill, chrome/black door handles, custom recessed factory grill, coil overs coming 2013 Camaro wheels in midnight silver in 20 x 8 and 20 x 9, 2014 SS exhaust tips
1952 Chevy Truck LS Conversion
1967 Chevy II Nova
1967 Chevy II Nova 1 Owner (just got her)
1964 Ford F100 (Bastardized in early 80's with chevy stuff)
1971 Datsun 510 (LS project ? Have a motor setup)