Headers for the L77

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Headers for the L77

Post by Navy Lifer »

From the SS forum:
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/new-membe ... -help.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SW Exhaust

Post by SW Exhaust »

Hey guys.... posted here too!

viewforum.php?f=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rich M.
Stainless Works Performance Exhaust
800-878-3635
http://www.stainlessworks.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tariq

Post by Tariq »

Hi
One of my friend installed second hand
American Racing Headers (G8 GT)
On his 2013 Caprice SS
With out any problems with the oil cooler !!

I asked him to take pics and you can see it here

Finally this is a video for his car and his car mode are
VCM OTR CAI
ARH headers exhaust 1-7/8
X-Force 3in (Remote Control) Mufflers

http://youtu.be/t-n8E2pfBFw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tariq
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

that car does not have an oil cooler. you can see next to the filter the oval plate with two screws. that is the block off plate for the cooler.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Headers for the L77 - Oil Cooler Info - update

Post by Navy Lifer »

OK, finally did some parts research.

Oil pan for LS3 in SS (sedan), Camaro, and L77 in Caprice are the same PN.

SS & Caprice share the same oil cooler, located toward rear, close to filter, and block mounted.

Camaro shares oil cooler with CTS-V (LSA) - forward mounted, on oil pan.

Part Numbers:

12640748 - Oil pan on SS/Camaro (LS3) and Caprice (L77)

12606576 - Oil cooler - forward mount, Camaro/CTS-V
(quite pricey at $595 list - $357 dealer cost, plus the additional parts required to make it work)

92246966 - Oil cooler - rear mount, as used on SS/Caprice

Several other items required - piping, mounting hardware, etc. TBD

This means that the mounting bosses seen on the SS oil pan (same PN as Camaro LS3) will allow mounting of the Camaro/CTS cooler, which locates further forward, POSSIBLY providing room for the header tube bundle to pass and clear the cooler. It's not certain that the Camaro/CTS cooler will actually fit in the space, as the CTS frame/cradle is shaped somewhat differently in this area--do not know about Camaro, but it is more likely to be similar to SS & Caprice.

IF the Camaro cooler will fit & clear frame, engine mounts, etc, the coolant plumbing would still need to be figured out.

View the headers installed on the Caprice (non-PPV, no cooler) posted earlier in this thread to get some ideal of the space limitations involved to fit everything in.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

SW & Kooks have managed to retain the oil cooler, though not confirmed for PPV, but done on SS - PPV should be the same

https://www.facebook.com/stainlessworks ... id=7967676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kooksheaders.com/photo-gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Yes, I found out this weekend that Kooks has done the headers for the SS. Seems they did Kurt Busch's new SS. I guess he had more clot than I did.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Okay, during the first part of the Hot Rod Power Tour Kooks was one of the sponsor/vendors and I had a chance to speak with KoolAid (he said I beat him up). Anyway to make a long story short they will be installing long tube headers, their cats, and an x-pipe on my car sometime next week, connecting it to my Solo axle back system. If this makes the car too loud for everyday driving I will reinstall my stock mufflers. This has only taken me just over a year so I will keep everyone updated.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

The Tech wrote:Okay, during the first part of the Hot Rod Power Tour Kooks was one of the sponsor/vendors and I had a chance to speak with KoolAid (he said I beat him up). Anyway to make a long story short they will be installing long tube headers, their cats, and an x-pipe on my car sometime next week, connecting it to my Solo axle back system. If this makes the car too loud for everyday driving I will reinstall my stock mufflers. This has only taken me just over a year so I will keep everyone updated.
That sounds like good news to me .
Hendo

Post by Hendo »

I can't wait to hear wait to hear what it will sound like The Tech. Are you going to have the AFM function defeated in the ECU? Drone is no fun :(