JBA exhaust system

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
BadgedBowtie

JBA exhaust system

Post by BadgedBowtie »

I think I found this link or some information from the guys on the SS sedan forums that led me to this information. (so props to those dudes !)

I love the kooks system and the X-force bolt-ons that install behind them, but I just cant justify the price point that they are looking for so I am thinking of this system:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exhaus ... m-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from JBA..

The whole system is 304 stainless (not the poopie 409 junk) .. and it all bolts together in complement to each other as a full system.

I found this clip on you-tube .. dunno if s the same system..(should be) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNCTLpsTI5U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it sounds pretty tight

I also like the nifty-as-hell exhaust connector ring clamps that eliminates the need for a bolt together style junctions through out the system..

I am also considering the KVE-100 (2011 Caprice) VCM-OTR system for an intake (thanks to all of you here and from what I've read)

I have heard several of you mention the need for some sort of cam upgrade as well.. (what do y'all recommend? ) and after this thing starts breathing IN & OUT better maybe the need for a tune or a trip to the dyno..

Wanna keep the stock tail gears as I use her for a commuter and will need to maintain the mileage quotient..
LEGATUM VICECOMITEM
CrashTestDummy

Re: JBA exhaust system

Post by CrashTestDummy »

JBA doesn't seem to have the P/N for the long tubes for the SS listed on their web site yet. You do know, of course, that the exhaust system is not a bolt-on affair, right? You'll still have to modify the system to account for the longer wheelbase of the Caprice.

That said, JBA does make decent stuff. We have the shorties on our 98 Dakota R/T. They don't offer much of an improvement in performance, but do look a LOT better and weigh a lot less than the cast iron manifolds they replace. It would be interesting to see what the JBA long-tube-back exhaust system would run for the SS.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BadgedBowtie

Post by BadgedBowtie »

CrashTestDummy wrote:JBA doesn't seem to have the P/N for the long tubes for the SS listed on their web site yet. You do know, of course, that the exhaust system is not a bolt-on affair, right? You'll still have to modify the system to account for the longer wheelbase of the Caprice.

That said, JBA does make decent stuff. We have the shorties on our 98 Dakota R/T. They don't offer much of an improvement in performance, but do look a LOT better and weigh a lot less than the cast iron manifolds they replace. It would be interesting to see what the JBA long-tube-back exhaust system would run for the SS.

From some research on the cheapest 'source' for the long tube units:

JBA Long tube SS 1.75 (1 7/8) inch long tube headers [source: JEGS HP] (PN#6815SJS) $652.99

and oh yeah I know somewhere in the 'mix' I am gonna have to 'add' some pipe length to account for our longer wheel base. I seen in another post where a forum member added in his 'extension' in the area right after the cats and prior to where the X for the crossover is.

Yeah the shorties aren't really claimed to help a whole lot but they do as you state drop a lot of weight away from the stockers..

In total (from my extensive 'shopping' for the entire system (in addition to the above) I also found the rest of the kit:

JBA performance exhaust cat back system [source: Discount Catalytic converters] (PN# 40-3118) $665.28

all told it looks like for somewhere in the neighborhood of about $1318.27 (sans shipping) a bit lower than the Kooks/X-force system price.
LEGATUM VICECOMITEM
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

BadgedBowtie wrote:The whole system is 304 stainless (not the poopie 409 junk) ..
409 is not the devil incarnate--it is quite durable and cost effective for mass production. It's not as pretty as 304, and 304 has it's own issues, to be fair--not just the cost difference.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nice! I think the Kooks long tubes, green cats and cat back was just over $2K, IIRC. But at that rate, shipping was free. Picking up the JBA parts through someone like Summit or Jegs would probably get you free shipping, too.

Definitely something to look at.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?