Roto Fab CAI to Hood gap

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
ManBearPig

Re: Roto Fab CAI to Hood gap

Post by ManBearPig »

Do you have a template for this? Or would you be willing to make another? I need one of these or a diffe r nt intake. In traffic my intake air temp has gone up to 165 according to my microscan, which was 75 degrees over ambient.
Pursuit wrote:Thanks! Spent a lot of time on this. Still tweaking the fitment. I have been slowly shaving some sections of the sides of the CAI to bring the new lid away from just two points where the hood does touch. Lining up the aluminum brackets (with the rubber well nuts inserted) and the two countersunk holes in the lid took A LOT of trial and error. I originally cut the lid 1/2" bigger than the CAI to allow for final fitment after I could align the two holes with the fabricated brackets.
I am concerned that there are a lot of variables that would be encountered during installations. I would have to identify some absolutes/benchmarks on the RotoFab CAI to measure from to locate the bracket spot above the filter.
I took a chance of possibly ruining my CAI and would hate to have someone else not have success installing this modification.

But, I will attempt to provide as much info as possible. I will try to come up with a repeatable process to minimize misalignment.
Robert

2011 Caprice 9C3 Alto Gray
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Robert,
I started with the RotoFab G8 CAI as it was the only thing available over three and half years ago. I also modified the body (lowered the sides) of the CAI in a couple of places. I believe that they do have a CAI for the Caprice now. I think it has a clear cover. Besides the cover I had to fabricate the aluminum brackets for the rubber well nuts. I also isolated the CAI from the engine compartment using 1/2" foam so that the CAI was only getting air through the fog light hole cover. There are open slits under the horizontal ribbing of the cover, if you look up into them.
I could trace the outline of the cover, but, there are a lot of other things that contributed to its final shape.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

I bought Bob Dannelly's 2011 9c3. He had the G8 CAI installed during that same time period. I was just trying to figure out a fix for traffic that didn't include getting a new CAI.
Robert

Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Robert, If you are not in a hurry, I could get a template of the cover. It also has a compound curve to it. I only see my car once every two or three weeks. On the body of the G8 CAI I did shave a side or two down so that the bottom of the hood didn't contact the top of my lid as much. It was a lot of trial and error for three weeks. I cut the lid 1/2" to big all the way around to allow for trimming/shaping.
We can talk later.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

I'm not in a hurry, I appreciate the help. I added some rubber pipe insulation in the mean time to get a seal on the hood. I just prefer a cover. Maybe even an over the radiator eventually.
Robert

GXPaycheck

Post by GXPaycheck »

Does the covered RotoFab for the SS work on the Caprice?
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

It does with some modification.
Robert