Bi mode exhaust swap

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
KERR

Bi mode exhaust swap

Post by KERR »

Anyone messed with the bi mode exhaust. saw a complete kit on e bay off ZL-1 camaro, even has the "computer" box or what ever you need to make it work... Im assuming there is no factory setting in the ecu to switch from normal to sport like on the camaros etc...

I was thinking power up this magical box that gm has, then i guess put it on a switch, or see if there is a way to make it work with hp tuners at X rpm like first version was, 80% throttle or over 3500 rpms..... Im speculating at all this currently...

I guess worst case scenario would be power it up and use a switch, then again i still dont know why it need electrical stuff to make a vacuum actuator work lol.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Bi mode exhaust swap

Post by Pursuit »

I am working on the ZL1 Bi-modal exhaust. I have the pipes and mufflers installed. It took a little judicious cutting, welding and fabrication to get the Camaro mufflers "straightened" out to fit around the Caprice spare tire well and fit out through the rear diffuser. The electric box controls or bleeds off the vacuum source from the back of the intake manifold. The BCM controls the electric box. At start up the valve is open and then closes. Depending on throttle position and RPM the BCM tells the electric box to bleed off the vacuum and allow the valves to "fail" open. Some of the Camaro guys will remove the fuse that is the circuit to the black box so that the valves are failed open all of the time.
Search for "NPP Exhaust switch" there is a company that makes a kit.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
KERR

Re: Bi mode exhaust swap

Post by KERR »

i looked at that company the other day.... keep us posted on your progress!