2014 Kooks LT + Chevy SS mufflers = IT WORKS

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
xcidmigs

Re: 2014 Kooks LT + Chevy SS mufflers = IT WORKS

Post by xcidmigs »

Is the kooks piping on the cat back stuff 2 1/2" or 3" How about the inlet pipe of the SS stock muffler? Otherwise that setup looks GREAT and from what you are saying they were smart enough to give the extra length here and there to make it fit both platforms. Looks like this is the direct fit system everyone has been trying to find.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

xcidmigs wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:It only works if you say that using your best Fred Sanford voice!! :lol:

Thank you. Just trying to figure out the combos here. I currently have an x-force exhaust to install, and am doing so behind the factory manifolds. I'm actually thinking about maybe replacing them with ZL1 manifolds, to help ground clearance and sound, but if I can get my hands on a set of LTs cheap, I might go that route, too.

I mean if the ZL1 manifolds can support nearly 600 HP.....
Why do you keep saying the ZL1 manifolds are better? Its only been shown that they are a different metal composition than the stock style PPV/G8/CAMARO to better deal with the SC heat output? Also why would that change your ground clearance?
This setup kooks setup looks better on the clearance than my LS3 camaro exhaust does.

Anyway we can get a pic of how the exhaust hangs under the car while its on the ground, like put the camera down very low to ground?
Hmm, I don't keep saying they're better, but in another thread, I believe, someone stated that the SS/ZL1 manifolds have an honest 2-1/2" outlet, vs. the Caprice with the about 1-7/8" outlet. There should be some performance there. I'd take either, for the price.

The packaging is just better. No need to worry about issues common with headers. That, and it's the Easy Button. Also no need to worry about how to hook things up, there to put the cats, etc. Either will support nearly 600 HP, and for a DD, isn't a bad choice.

With my current schedule issues, we'll probably throw the just exhaust under the car unless I just happen to trip over a pair of exhaust manifolds for cheap.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

The SS Camaro OEM exhaust manifold is the SAME one you have on your car now....

The ZL1 version is stated by GM as being the same design but different metallurgy to deal with the heat, plus the flanges were cut, again to prevent warping/leaking due to heat. I can't see how they would have made any change to the design itself. If that was the intent why not make it completely different like the OEM z28 piece which is actually tubular steel or the C5 Z06 pieces which are again a completely different design. That said I've never seen a ZL1 in hand to check out anything like the ID. The only thing I can confirm is the OEM PPV cat downpipe has the 1 7/8" intake.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The ZL1 manifold does have a 2" outlet. Also, the piping into the pairs of catalytic converter is 2" also. I have the ZL1 manifolds and cats along with the SS manifolds and cats. The ZL1 manifolds are a different material. They don't seem to rust as bad. Maybe a higher stainless content?

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Silversled wrote:
kevink wrote:
cal30_sniper wrote:How did you make the mid-pipes fit the extra wheelbase of our car? Did you use Caprice specific mid-pipes or weld in some extra straightpipe somewhere? From reading your original post, it looks like you just ordered a complete kit for an SS, and everything bolted right up, but I can't see how that's possible.
Doesn't the muffler and tailpipe look way too far forward?
No the muffler box is physically the same on both my 2014 PPV and the 2015 SS. The rubber isolator mount is transferred from the PPV muffler to the new SS. Both muffler bodies physically mount in the same location. In the picture, the Chevy SS polished finisher has been cut off already in preparation of adding an extension so it looks inset.
I can confirm that other than the tailpipes, the Chevy SS and Caprice muffler are dimensionaly the same with the same mounts. I'm using '14 SS mufflers on mine with a G8 flange welded to the inlet. I had to have ~4-5" of extension welded in to bring the tips out to the bumper edge. I ordered redtail tips, but was unhappy with the fit and finish, so I ended up just retaining the round SS tips.

Good to know on the mid-pipes. I ordered the kit specific to the Caprice since I wanted it to meet up with the G8 flange on the mufflers. I guess I could have saved some money and just gone with the G8 mid-pipes instead. Oh well, live and learn.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

xcidmigs wrote:Is the kooks piping on the cat back stuff 2 1/2" or 3" How about the inlet pipe of the SS stock muffler? Otherwise that setup looks GREAT and from what you are saying they were smart enough to give the extra length here and there to make it fit both platforms. Looks like this is the direct fit system everyone has been trying to find.
The cat pipe that meets with the header collector is 3". It continues as 3" through the X pipe and halfway down the car. The second half is 2.5" all the way to the muffler ball joint. I didn't measure the muffler inlet pipe but looking at the pictures I'd say the muffler inlets are 2.25".

Kooks actually has a PPV specific midpipe fitment. I don't know if they add an inch here or there but the last bend terminates at a fixed 2-bolt flange to mate to the stock PPV muffler. I didn't go for that one because the Chevy SS ball joint may have more options in the long run. I would have had to pay near full retail vs a deeply discounted SS midpipe.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

xcidmigs wrote:The SS Camaro OEM exhaust manifold is the SAME one you have on your car now....

The ZL1 version is stated by GM as being the same design but different metallurgy to deal with the heat, plus the flanges were cut, again to prevent warping/leaking due to heat. I can't see how they would have made any change to the design itself. If that was the intent why not make it completely different like the OEM z28 piece which is actually tubular steel or the C5 Z06 pieces which are again a completely different design. That said I've never seen a ZL1 in hand to check out anything like the ID. The only thing I can confirm is the OEM PPV cat downpipe has the 1 7/8" intake.
I don't know WTF to believe anymore. I was lead to believe, on this forum, in another thread, I think, that it was the EXHAUST MANIFOLD OUTLET that was necked down on the Caprice. I was apparently mislead, or misunderstood.

I'll stop now.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

For reference:
Attachments
PPV flex joint restriction.jpg
PPV flex joint restriction.jpg (825.62 KiB) Viewed 12818 times
PPV  inlet pipe with flex joint to converters with lid for size.jpg
PPV inlet pipe with flex joint to converters with lid for size.jpg (813.91 KiB) Viewed 12818 times
Lid size measurement.jpg
Lid size measurement.jpg (827.35 KiB) Viewed 12818 times
Camaro SS_ZL1 inlet pipe  for catalytic converters.jpg
Camaro SS_ZL1 inlet pipe for catalytic converters.jpg (829.54 KiB) Viewed 12818 times
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

So despite the shadows and such it would seem the SS camaro parts are just over 2" where the PPV is just under 1 7/8?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

xcidmigs wrote:So despite the shadows and such it would seem the SS camaro parts are just over 2" where the PPV is just under 1 7/8?
i think one if the manifolds , and the other is the cats , and the neck down area is where the flex joint is

the G8GT also have the flex joint , and the G8 gxp has a solid pipe , the flex is for the DOD motors