SOLO High Flow cats

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
bluethunder

SOLO High Flow cats

Post by bluethunder »

Has anyone here used the Solo high flow cats on there Caprice PPV? If so which part # will fit our car? I have seen them for just the G8. Thanks
xcidmigs

Re: SOLO High Flow cats

Post by xcidmigs »

It would be the same ones?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bringing this back up. The OEM head-pipe/cat for the G8 does look a lot like the same part on a Caprice. Kind of an expensive test, though. If anyone has actually laid the G8 headpipe beside a Caprice headpipe, I'd sure like to hear about it. This part would be all I need to complete my X-Force exhaust install.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, I figured I'd be the guinea pig here. Since I have an X-Force exhaust to install, and time off coming up, I figured I'd try a pair of these high-flow cats. Installing them with the current exhaust system out of the way made sense, so I figured I'd bite the bullet. When I went to order them, it turns out that Solo Performance is having a 'black-Friday-week' sale at 15% off everything and free shipping. So the cats are on their way at less than $625.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I was already taking off this week, to get some things done around the house/shop, and thought that I just might be able to throw the exhaust under the car while I'm there.

Unfortunately, when I checked my tracking for the cats this morning, I see a posting from this morning that read something like "Oops, we incorrectly routed your package, you may experience some delay in delivery". :x

Okay, I'll configure my new Mac Book Pro, that's actually getting delivered a day early, and work on the SVO to get the cooling system updated instead.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

You're not the guinea pig! I did shorty headers (intended to bolt up to stock exhaust) and Solo high flow cats a few years ago. :)
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

bsparks72 wrote:You're not the guinea pig! I did shorty headers (intended to bolt up to stock exhaust) and Solo high flow cats a few years ago. :)
And how was it? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, got the cats hung, but little else completed yet. Note that the Solo cats are left and right sided. While it's noted on the wrapping, they are NOT labeled on the cats themselves. I didn't know this until after cutting the wrapping off and beginning the assembly. I think I have them figured out, since hanging one on one side results in the exhaust end flange hitting the frame rail, and hanging it on the other side sets the end of the cat pretty much dead center of the space between the frame and transmission.

I'll also note that you HAVE to insert the rear manifold bolt before installing the pre-cat O2 sensor. This is definitely a case where RTFM before beginning assembly will help a lot. You have to grab the install instructions from the intarwebs, though, since they don't come with the cats!

After working through getting the Xforce exhaust hung, we discovered we don't have the hangers for the mufflers in the back!! Not sure what happened to them, but the Xforce can't go on without them. Talked with tech support at Summit yesterday, since they carry the Xforce exhaust system, but the guy I spoke with there found no P/N for just the rear hangers, and they are unique to this exhaust. :evil: I'll be calling Xforce USA tomorrow to see if I have any option other than buying a pair of $1300 hangers that have a complete exhaust system attached. I may also get a pair of hangers fabbed up, but that won't be this week.

Soooo, the factory exhaust will probably have to go back on. I spent most of yesterday afternoon, after enjoying the morning in 40-degree weather covering orange trees, drilling out the two broken bolts that bolt the muffler to the back of the exhaust. Those Aussie bolts are pretty tough!! I burned up two Cobalt (the metal type, not the brand) drill bits and broke another before getting them drilled out. Luckily, it was only two!

Depending on what Xforce says tomorrow, we'll be putting things back together this weekend so I have a car to drive next week.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The cats seem to fit and work fine. With all the other things we need to do, and the really freakin' cold weather we've been having, I've done little but move the car from the shop back to the garage. I did take it out and around the block to see if it would post a code, but so far, so good.

These are the Solo High Flow Cats for the G8 bolted to an otherwise stock exhaust.

Still waiting for a solution from Xforce before we can hang the Varex exhaust, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Update: Still enjoying the Solo cats. They seem to allow a bit more exhaust sound out the tail pipes, but there's no change in cabin noise, which, I guess is a good thing. Only have about a 1/2 tank of fuel through the car so far, and also did a tire change, so any change in mileage is meaningless.

XForce finally came through! They located a couple of hangars and sent them to me, so now we should be good to go with the Varex exhaust system. We just have to get some quality time out in the shop. That is probably at least two weeks out.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?